Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Minneapolis, MN, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler Power & Process is currently seeking a Substation Engineer with experience in the power delivery industry.
You will be an integral part of Amec Foster Wheeler’s Transmission and Distribution (T&D) Engineering team and will work with and be mentored by our lead T&D engineering staff.
- Create detailed designs for new, additions to or modification of high voltage substation facilities from 15kV to 345kV
- Write equipment specifications and provide procurement support for major equipment within high-voltage electrical facilities. Create Bills of Material for minor equipment within electrical facilities
- Prepare engineering deliverables for electric substation projects - including evaluation and selection of substation equipment, Site Plans, Plan and Elevations, Grounding, Conduit Layouts, Lightning Protection and Shielding, Lighting, Bus Layouts, Cabling and AC / DC services
- Carry out studies and calculation including insulation coordination, grounding studies, lighting, bus calculations, transformer and bus sizing, fault calculations and AC / DC studies
- Work closely with other engineering and design team members to coordinate overall design package and requirements
- Participate in technical discussions for the resolution of design problems which may include performing field investigation or observation, detailed design work and detailed checking of design calculations
- Provide direction and guidance to drafters and designers
- Monitor and ensure design schedules are met, including regularly providing project status updates to Project Engineer or Project Manager
- Handle multiple projects and providing a detailed design package that complies with applicable substation engineering design standards and all safety codesDetailed knowledge of power utilization equipment and application considerations including the various types of switchgear, protective relays, circuit breakers, transformers, motors and generators is required
- Engineering / technical expertise in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, schedule and monitor work activities
- Able to write thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches
- Engage in continuous improvement of job-related, engineering, technical and professional knowledge, skills and performance
- Work to promote the business of substation engineering. Able to meet with clients upon request of Project Manager or Project Engineer
- Possess effective oral and written communication skills
- Maintain accurate records and files
Skills / Qualifications
- Graduate of four year college or university with Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE)
- 4 to 8 years of experience as a practicing engineer in the Electric Utility Industry.
- Registered Professional Engineer or the ability to obtain PE registration within 1 year
- Proficient in engineering theory and principles.
- Proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
- Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in the T&D industry
- Proficient in principles of project management
- Knowledge of Electric Utility Protection and Control
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.