Skills: Engineering Manager
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Warrington, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is recruiting a Materials Testing Technologist to join the Materials and Component Testing team. The successful candidate will have good practical engineering understanding and experience of working in an engineering laboratory environment, producing high quality data and following appropriate codes and standards.
This role is expected to broaden with time and experience, and there will be appropriate development opportunities for the right candidate.
- Providing practical, “hands-on”, mechanical testing support to a wide variety of structural integrity related testing programmes for customers who operate safety critical structures
- Supervision and guidance for test technicians in various aspects of materials testing
- Analysis and interpretation of test results, including reporting to customers
- Carry out mechanical testing activities, with tests including tensile, fracture, fatigue, creep, crack growth and other bespoke testing activities
- Oversee progress of test technicians and ensure good working practices are maintained
- Analysing problems, discussing and developing solutions with colleagues and customers
- Liaising with external suppliers when necessary
- Delivering work to time, cost and quality to ensure customer satisfaction
- Checking and verification of the work of other team members
- Assisting with the production of contract proposals and bids
Skills / Qualifications
- A degree or equivalent experience in a relevant subject, e.g. Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Physics
- Experience in the nuclear power generation industry or equivalent safety critical industry
- Experience of direct client interaction
- Experience of checking the work of colleagues against specified procedures
- A willingness to be trained in the operation of material test equipment and the generation of test data
- A willingness to spend a proportion of time working on client sites (not expected to be significant)
- Practical skills and knowledge who can convert theoretical concepts into practical applications that assist with the resolution of challenging and technically complex problems that impact on the safety and performance of nuclear components and applications in other similarly challenging sectors
- Good knowledge in one or more of the above areas. However, comprehensive support will be given to suitable applicants who have relevant experience and display an aptitude for identifying and solving unfamiliar problems.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.