Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting for a Wastewater Network Modelling Apprentice for someone who is looking to build a career in the water sector, specifically in Urban Drainage and Wastewater Network Modelling. You will be assigned a mentor within your team who will work and liaise closely with you in your day-to-day work. You will be trained to rapidly develop your knowledge to solve problems in urban drainage and develop your skills in hydraulic modelling and GIS.
As an apprentice, you will be a key member of a well-established modelling team. You will be assisting in the production of complex drainage area plans to address urban flooding, pollution and development.
Duties may include:
- Assist in the construction of integrated catchment models using Innovyze ICM modelling package
- Data manipulation in GIS packages such as MapInfo and InfoNet
- Data manipulation in Excel
- Production of drawings in MapInfo
- Site visits and surveys
- Preparation of simple calculations
- Contributing to providing solutions to design problems
- Assist in report writing
- Ensuring models meet required standards following client specifications and Amec Foster Wheeler’s quality procedure
- Professional development through CIWEM, maintaining a training log and attending training/Continuing Professional Development days (CPD), where appropriate
- Continued academic qualification through day release
Skills / Qualifications
This role requires a minimum of nine GCSEs, 5 at grade C or above which must include English, Maths, Science and a technology related subject OR Level 2 Equivalent.
It is preferable that candidates are educated to at least AS Level or equivalent in a related subject to the apprenticeship.
Successful candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- An interest in IT and data manipulation using Excel and GIS packages
- Good numerical/maths skills
- Good literacy and ability to write reports
- Ability to manage own time and ability to prioritise at busy times
- A practical, adaptable and persevering approach to work
- An interest in pursuing a career within wastewater network modelling
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to think in a methodical way to plan and organise tasks
- Ability to work well with other people in a team environment
- Good communication skills within a team
- Knowledge of the importance of Health and Safety at work
If you have the right skills and are keen to contribute to an enthusiastic team, we will be pleased to hear from you.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.