Skills: Civil Engineering
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
As a Civil Design Engineering Apprentice, you will work in experienced design teams providing technical support to Civil Engineers carrying out design work according to client specifications across a variety of sectors.
Duties during your apprenticeship may include:
- Production of CAD (Computer Aided Design) drawings and hand sketches
- Site visits
- Site surveys
- Preparation of simple calculations
- Supporting the administration of projects
- Contributing to providing solutions to design problems
- Ensuring designs meet required standards following our Integrated Management System
- Keeping your training log up to date and attending training/Continuing Professional Development days (CPD), where appropriate
You will be assigned a mentor within your team who will work and liaise closely with you in your day-to-day work.
This is an entry level apprenticeship for someone who is looking to gain further qualifications while supporting a Civil Engineering team in Design work.
Skills / Qualifications
This role requires a minimum of five GCSEs grade C or above which must include English, Maths, Science and a technology related subject OR Level 2 Equivalent.
We would ideally ask that you have a B or above in GCSE Maths in order to cope with the demands of training and work, however candidates with a grade C will also be considered.
It is preferable that candidates are educated to at least AS Level or equivalent in a related subject to the Apprenticeship.
Successful candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- Good numerical/maths skills
- Good literacy and ability to write brief reports on work undertaken
- Ability to manage own time and ability to prioritise at busy times
- Creative thought and practical application
- Adaptability to changing demands
- Interest in pursuing a career within engineering
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite
- Interest in using computers for design work, calculations, and testing designs
- Ability to produce accurate CAD drawings which meet required standards
- Ability to think in a methodical way to plan and organise tasks
- Ability to work well with other people in a team environment
- Good communication skills within a team and externally
- Knowledge of the importance of Health and Safety at work
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.