Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler are recruiting for a Senior/Principal Control & Instrumentation Engineer to join our Clean Energy business that supports clients in the nuclear industry in the UK and Europe from our office in Newcastle upon Tyne.
The Amec Foster Wheeler Clean Energy business provides specialist engineering, safety case support and project management to our customers’ operations within the Nuclear Sector. We have long term relationships with several major clients in the civil nuclear and defence industries. We have opportunities to work across a variety of nuclear projects at all stages of the project life cycle, from initial planning to end of life decommissioning.
You will be joining an organisation that delivers an integrated customer solution that draws upon the global Amec Foster Wheeler skills base and our supply chain partners.
Senior and Principal EC&I Engineering posts are available to those with significant, demonstrable experience in delivering solutions to the civil nuclear, defence or other high consequence sectors. Candidates will be familiar with the requirements of working in regulated industries and with providing EC&I engineering support throughout the life of high hazard facilities and processes.
Successful execution of high quality engineering work to time, quality, budget and customer satisfaction
- Undertake replacement of obsolete C&I systems / equipment or development of new systems, in particular control / PLC systems. This may include the specification, design, coding, testing, installation and commissioning of the systems and will need to consider the safety, integrity and reliability of the modifications
- Delivery of high integrity Safety Critical systems
- Design and testing of simulation software devices for complete project simulation
- Design, configuration, implementation and testing of SCADA systems
- Production of safety justifications for the new or replacement C&I systems/components
- Understanding of fault analysis and reliability assessments using recognised techniques such as FMEA, FTA, HAZID and HAZOP
- Act as Responsible Engineer for projects, where appropriately qualified
- Plan and manage own engineering design and assessment work within associated project budgets
- Engage with clients in order to understand technical needs and develop successful working relationships
- Carry out feasibility/option studies to provide cost-effective design solutions to client challenges
- Verification of peer and junior engineer’s C&I technical documentation
- Assist with technical input for proposals/tenders
Skills / Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience of a broad range of C&I equipment and its application in both conventional and safety related applications
- Previous work on PLCs or control systems in safety related applications
- Knowledge of PLC programming and system integration, SCADA configuration and software testing techniques and experience of installation and commissioning of PLC / SCADA systems
- Knowledge and experience of relevant guidelines, standards and practices, specifically IEC 61508 / 61513 / 61226 is desirable
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry
- Preferably educated to Degree level in a relevant engineering of scientific field, however HNC/HND considered in a mathematical, scientific or engineering discipline (or with equivalent qualifications and experience)
- Chartered engineer status with a relevant professional body (or experience necessary to qualify for such)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.