Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting an Assistant Electrical Engineer to join our multi-discipline project engineering team. We have a vacancy for an assistant consultant level electrical design engineer who, whilst based in our Newcastle office, will assist with the delivery of the electrical design content of challenging industrial projects for our Clients within the utility, pharmaceutical, water and waste industries, and for process, chemical and general industrial companies and contracting organisations throughout the UK and beyond.
Working as a member of various multidiscipline project design teams, initially under the supervision of a lead electrical engineer, you will contribute to the project electrical design input at all stages from feasibility and optioneering through to the production of detailed designs for procurement and construction. Your varied duties will range from surveying and reporting on existing electrical installations, through assisting with the production of detailed electrical installation designs and procurement documentation, to witnessing equipment acceptance tests. You will be supported in your technical and professional development by senior staff and our active early careers group.
If you have the right qualifications and skills, and are keen to work within an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we will be pleased to hear from you.
Skills / Qualifications
You will be qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering, preferably an IET accredited course. A higher degree and graduate membership of an appropriate engineering institution would be an advantage
As a minimum you will need to demonstrate an understanding of the following:
- LV electrical design to BS7671; gained within a relevant engineering sector
- The design and specification of electrical power and control systems, including switchgear and motor control centre, instrumentation, and cabling detailed designs
- The use of P&IDs to create equipment, instrumentation, valve and load schedules
- Electrical single line diagrams, block cabling, cable routing, and associated diagrams
- Cable sizing, and experience of using cable design software will be beneficial
- An appreciation of electrical safe systems of work
A suitable candidate will need to demonstrate the following:
- A good Client facing manner, and be diligent, confident and highly motivated; whether working as part of the Client’s team, together with Amec Foster Wheeler colleagues, or on their own
- The ability to communicate clearly in the English language; both verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation using MS Office applications
- The ability to work flexibly and to integrate their work with other discipline areas, whilst working to tight programme and budget constraints
- A good technical understanding of electrical principles, and use a mathematical approach to electrical problem solving by calculation where appropriate
- Good powers of observation; specifically of physical arrangements and construction practises
- The ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, to act in a safe manner, and to asset survey, inspect, and witness test electrical equipment and installations
- Possession of a valid UK driving licence is essential, as is a willingness to travel and work for limited periods elsewhere within the UK (and on occasion overseas).
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.