Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting a Principal Consultant level Design Engineer who, whilst based in our Newcastle office, will deliver the electrical design content of challenging industrial projects for our Clients within the utility, pharmaceutical, water and waste industries and for process, chemical and general industrial companies and contracting organisations throughout the UK and beyond. Working within various multidiscipline project design teams you will lead the electrical discipline design inputs into projects at all stages from feasibility and optioneering through to the production of detailed designs for procurement and construction. Your varied duties will range from surveying and reporting on existing electrical installations, providing detailed installation designs and writing procurement documentation, to witnessing equipment acceptance tests.
If you have the right experience and skills, and are keen to work within an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we will be pleased to hear from you.
Skills / Qualifications
You will be qualified to degree level (or equivalent, HND plus substantial design experience) in Electrical Engineering, and ideally hold chartered engineer status. As a minimum you will need to demonstrate an established and significant track record including:
- Recent experience of LV electrical design to BS7671and potentially to EN60364, gained within a relevant engineering sector
- Extensive experience in the evaluation, design, and specification of electrical power and control systems, including the production of electricity supply, switchgear and motor control centre, instrumentation, and cabling detailed design packages
- Experience of working with P&IDs to create equipment, instrumentation, valve and load schedules
- Specific experience in the creation of electrical single line diagrams, block cabling, cable routing, and associated diagrams
- Fluency in the use of AMTECH cable design and protection co-ordination software
- DSEAR and hazardous area electrical installation experience
- Experience in the fields of power systems analysis and of building services (in addition to the above) would be useful
- A practical appreciation of electrical safe systems of work (previous experience as an Electrical Authorised Person will be beneficial)
- Experience of testing, setting to work, and the commissioning of electrical equipment and control systems
- Knowledge of various methods of contract procurement
Typically we would expect someone to have at least twelve years post qualification experience to have the expertise and knowledge required to undertake this role successfully.
A suitable candidate will need to demonstrate the following:
- A good Client facing manner, and be diligent, confident and highly motivated; whether working as part of the Client’s team, together with Amec Foster Wheeler colleagues, or on their own
- The ability to communicate clearly in the English language; both verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation using MS Office applications
- The ability to work flexibly and to integrate their work with other discipline areas, whilst working to tight programme and budget constraints
- A heightened awareness of have a heightened awareness of personal safety and an understanding of the CDM Regulations
- The knowledge and presence to confidently represent the electrical discipline in front of Clients and colleagues alike, if required
- Supervisory experience of technical staff and in the review of, and taking responsibility for, their output
- Good powers of observation; specifically of physical arrangements and construction practises
- The ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, to act in a safe manner, and to asset survey, inspect, and witness test electrical equipment and installations
- Possession of a valid UK driving licence is essential, as is a willingness to travel and work for limited periods elsewhere within the UK (and on occasion overseas).
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.