Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer to join our multi-discipline project engineering team. The Mechanical Engineer, whilst based in our Newcastle office, will deliver the mechanical design content of challenging industrial projects for our clients within the utility, pharmaceutical, water and waste industries, and for process, chemical and general industrial companies and contracting organisations throughout the UK and beyond.
Working as a member of various multidiscipline project design teams you will be responsible for the project mechanical design input at all stages of projects. This will include carrying out asset surveys, calculations and design for feasibility studies, conceptual & detailed design. You will write the mechanical sections of reports, prepare procurement documentation, carry out tender assessment, review of contractor submissions, witness testing of plant & provide technical support to construction management staff. You will be lead mechanical engineer on projects, managing the technical input of others and their delivery to time, cost and quality criteria. You will communicate effectively and co-ordinate your discipline work with the rest of the design team.
If you have the right qualifications and skills, and are keen to work within an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we will be pleased to hear from you.
Skills / Qualifications
You will be qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering, and will ideally either hold or be close to attaining chartered engineer status.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- A good technical understanding of mechanical principles, including fluid mechanics, and use of a mathematical approach to mechanical problem solving by calculation where appropriate
- Recent experience in the design and specification of mechanical assets in the chemical, process, utility or allied industries
- Experience in the production of specifications and technical reports
- Familiarity with Construction Design and Management (CDM) regulations and designing for safety
- Awareness of methods of contract procurement, including the ECC (NEC) forms of contract
- Good powers of observation; specifically of physical arrangements and construction practises
- Experience of task management of technical input
- The ability to work flexibly and to integrate your work with other discipline areas, whilst working on several projects simultaneously
- A good client facing manner, diligent, confident and highly motivated; whether working as part of the client’s team, together with Amec Foster Wheeler colleagues, or on their own
- The ability to communicate clearly in the English language; both verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation using MS office applications
- Competence in AutoCAD would be an advantage
- The ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, to act in a safe manner, and to asset survey, inspect, and witness test mechanical equipment and installations
- Possession of a valid UK driving licence is essential, as is a willingness to travel and work for limited periods elsewhere within the UK (and on occasion overseas)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
Wood is ranked among Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings. Find out more here.