Skills: Accounting, Financial Analyst
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: San Ramon, CA, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of State Income Tax Advisor for the State and Local Tax Counsel group of the Corporation Tax Department, reporting to the Manager, State and Local Tax Counsel located in San Ramon, California through October 7, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Serving as the subject matter expert on all state and local income and franchise taxes as may be applied to legal research, tax planning, audits and controversies.
- Providing legal advice on a wide variety of state income and franchise tax issues affecting Chevron's worldwide businesses. A primary area is California franchise tax.
- Advocating Chevron's tax positions for refund claims and contested legal issues with state income and franchise tax authorities.
- Developing audit strategies and preparing audit responses, tax refund claims and tax appeals.
- Negotiating complex tax issues with state and local tax authorities.
- Analyzing and developing legal positions on proposed state income and franchise tax legislation.
- Monitoring and researching tax law changes and advising on potential financial impact and changes in compliance processes of such tax law changes.
- Understanding and assessing all state income and franchise tax return filing positions and potential ASC 740 impact, with an emphasis on California.
- Identifying, developing and recommending tax planning opportunities.
- Mentoring and training tax compliance team on multi-state income and franchise taxes.
- Certified Public Account (CPA).
- Certification or State Bar Admission.
- Masters in Taxation or Juris Doctorate (JD) degree from U.S. graduate or law school.
- 5+ years multi-state income and franchise tax experience.
- 3+ years direct California franchise tax experience and multi-state income tax legal research.
- Solid leadership and interpersonal skills and experience in collaborating with Tax Compliance teams, auditors and business clients, irrespective of their locations.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision, prioritize and timely meet objectives.
- Proven track record of fostering teamwork, developing diverse perspectives and delivering results.
- Ability to adapt to changes in assignments.
- LLM in Taxation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with state income tax agencies.
- Experience providing state corporate income tax planning advice.
- Experience preparing state corporate income tax appeals.
- Experience writing responses to proposed state income tax legislation or regulations.
- Experience in applying ASC 740 for state tax matters.
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position. Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions: Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation. Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.