Skills: Control Room Operations, Plant Operations Engineer, Refinery / Plant Operations Supervisor
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Alberta, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Reporting to the manager, primary extraction operations, you will be responsible for maintaining the safe and reliable monitoring and operation of the process equipment via the distributive control system (DCS) within the primary extraction plant area to optimize production in a safe and environmentally responsible manner as per the production plan. Working closely with the operations team, you will be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the primary extraction plants assets and equipment according to the operations plan, as well as training and mentoring new operators.
- Execute production plan activities with the other control room operator and assign tasks to the on-shift operators throughout the plant
- Procedure development, DCS Factory Assurance Testing (FAT), development of the Operator Training Simulator (OTS), system walk downs, commissioning and start-up activities (including loop checks) and operator training and development
- Coordinate and monitor plant operations through control panels, computer terminals or other control systems
- Make key decisions to change/adjust process to respond to unit conditions
- Identify any area of concern, troubleshoot and make necessary adjustments of equipment
- Control and regulate flow rates, temperatures, pressures, and vessel levels within the operating plant
- Provide initial response to emergency response, evacuation, startup and shut down of systems as required, etc
- Maintain shift log and other data and prepare operational, production and other reports as required
- Ensure compliance to all relevant Suncor policies and standards, including the Management of Change (MoC) and business processes to uphold all health, safety and environment standards and participate in incident investigations
Experience and Education:
- 10 or more years of refining, petrochemical, extraction and/or mineral processing experience
- Three to five years working on a plant control system within ore preparation plant (OPP) facilities and/or primary extraction (separation cells) facilities
- Leadership experience in an operating environment
- Diploma or degree in a relevant technical field (e.g. Engineering or equivalent operational experience); Power Engineering accreditation is desirable
- Possess a valid driver's licence and a clean driving record
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated expertise and in-depth technical knowledge of plant operations and experience using control panels, computer terminals or other control systems (preferably Honeywell Experion)
- Understand complex technical operating environments, coordinating of daily objectives and setting priorities to achieve the daily production plan
- Strong working knowledge of Environment Health and Safety regulations and an understanding of Loss Management techniques
- Competency in Microsoft Office and the use of at least one industry standard Enterprise Resource Planning tool (preferably SAP)
- Exhibit strong judgment, analytical and decision making skills for complex operational issues, along with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage conflicting priorities and deliver on aggressive timelines in operations environment, while demonstrating team leadership skills
- This position has been identified as safety sensitive
- This is a camp based position at the Fort Hills site
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
About Fort Hills
Travel just 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, Alberta and you'll find Fort Hills, the largest undeveloped oil sands mining asset in the region with more than 50 years of life expectancy. Fort Hills is being developed in a joint venture between Suncor, Total and Teck Resources, and Suncor is the site operator.
Fort Hills is a camp based work site with brand new lodge-style accommodations for contractors and employees. You'll either fly to and from work with Sunjet, Suncor's private airline, from one of our hubs in Western Canada or bus-in/bus-out from Fort McMurray. Flexible travel assistance may also be available to get you to and from our hubs if you live in Western Canada.
Our lodges are modern, with comfortable living quarters and free, fresh meals. You'll also enjoy:
- Movie theatre
- A multi-sports/gymnasium complex available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A games room
- A golf simulator
- Convenience store
- Chef prepared meals
- Market-style cafeteria and more.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.
JOB CATEGORY: Trade & Operators
Job Segment: Engineer, Sustainability, Offshore Oil, Engineering, Energy