Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston-One Allen Center, United States, US
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
31944BR MOTIVA - Indirect Tax Audit Coordinator - Houston, TX United States Houston - One Allen Center Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
The experienced Indirect Tax Audit Coordinator works with a high level of independence, confidentiality, and with a great degree of collegiality. This position is responsible for state and local indirect tax audit management and support with respect to sales, use and motor fuel taxes.
- Supports the Indirect Tax Advisor with interfacing with heads of teams on strategic indirect tax audit issues impacting Motiva
- Interfaces with the Indirect Tax Operations team on audit matters impacting business operations
- Provides subject matter expertise on broad indirect tax issues including but not limited to the computation, collection, reporting and remittance of indirect taxes across multiple jurisdictions
- Coordinates audit deliverables with the Indirect Tax Compliance tax accountants
- Handles Motiva’s indirect tax audit disputes across all US jurisdictions
- Provides continuous improvement guidance on indirect tax matters and related business processes
- First line of contact to manage Motiva’s indirect tax audit exposures
- Interface with Motiva Business Functions and or Operations leaders on indirect tax audit matters, including provisioning of audit exposures.
- The Indirect Tax Audit Coordinator manages value and volume based indirect tax audits across all US jurisdictions and provides direction, guidance and oversight to other members of the Indirect Tax team. Leads a pro-active indirect tax review of projects requiring stakeholder management and support. Projects include routine performance of self-assessment reviews of transactions and processes to identify sustainable tax refunds, liability reduction, and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Establish through negotiation the terms of the audit; e.g. accounts to be reviewed, periods to be covered et al
- Work within the Indirect Tax team to gather required information/data necessary for performance of the audit
- Application of understanding of the specific tax rules and regulations of the jurisdictions under audit to the exceptions identified in the audit
- Negotiate with the taxing authorities to obtain the best possible audit outcome. Must be able to challenge (generally in a non-confrontational manner) an auditor’s position on issues, and be persuasive in advocating Motiva’s position, thereby reducing proposed assessments and or removing items before they become issues
- Escalate issues in a timely manner, prepare tax protests, refund claims, and respond to inquiries. Must be able to assist internal and external counsel in pursuit of administrative appeals, litigation settlement forums
- Maintain documentation of all aspects of the audit; it should be assumed each audit will go to litigation and work product must be available to support positions and actions taken on the audit
- Assess risk of an audit and determine overall financial exposures of the audit
- Keep Tax management timely and well informed of status of ongoing audits
- Timely respond to inspections and requests from tax authorities, coordinating related activities with the Indirect Tax compliance tax accountants
- Support the Senior Indirect Tax Advisor
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum five (5) experience with broad knowledge of sales, use and other value based taxes; broad knowledge in various state and local motor fuel taxes including environmental taxes.
- Proven understanding of procurement practices and manufacturing processes.
- Proven understanding of refined product inventory accounting, distribution channels and business systems used to track and account for petroleum product distributions across the US.
- Skilled in understanding the general ledger accounts of particular interest to the auditors
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and effective at influencing others within and outside of the Tax organization.
- Proven ability to evaluate tax risks, balance risk with Motiva objectives and make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate and supportive of Motiva’s business strategies.
- Proven experience communicating complex tax issues; both written and oral.
- Proven ability to mine data necessary to support an audit or an audit position.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video