Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston-One Allen Center, United States, US
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
31948BR MOTIVA - Sr. Indirect Tax Advisor - Houston, TX United States Houston - One Allen Center Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
The experienced Senior Indirect Tax Advisor’s purpose is twofold; firstly, provide proactive, value-added legal and fiscal indirect tax (sales, use, and fuel taxes) advice and guidance to Motiva’s Tax team and stakeholders and secondly, as the audit lead for Motiva’s indirect tax audits including providing direction to the Indirect Tax Audit Coordinator.
- Conduct research and provide proactive, value-added indirect tax advice to support alignment with Motiva’s strategic priorities; operational excellence, commercial mindset, financial stewardship, organic growth and superior execution, while minimizing the indirect tax exposure/impact
- Monitor and provide proactive, value-added proposals and recommendations regarding indirect tax legislative and regulatory developments in Motiva’s agile and nimble environment
- Provide regular, periodic training and awareness sessions regarding indirect tax laws to the Motiva tax community and its tax enthusiasts
- Partner with the Indirect Tax teams to ensure proper tax set-ups, reporting and remittance of indirect taxes for Motiva’s operations
- With other members of the tax leadership team, assist in developing and implementing indirect tax controls, policies and procedures
- Actively represent Motiva in selected industry and professional organizations as needed, develop and maintain the strong industry relationships
- Lead and manage multiple indirect tax audits
- Mitigate risk and financial exposure associated with jurisdictional administered indirect tax compliance audits
- Negotiate audit scope, including sampling plans, sample selection items and projection models with jurisdictional authorities
- Manage 3rd party service providers supporting Motiva’s managed indirect tax audits
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree; Licensed attorney, CPA, or equivalent certification preferred.
- Minimum ten (10) years of energy business and industry taxation experience.
- Deep, broad knowledge of US indirect tax laws/regulations, along with a well-rounded finance and accounting acumen
- Proven negotiation experience and effective at influencing others within and outside own organization.
- Experience researching and interpreting taxation laws/regulations using a variety of third party research tools.
- Ability to adapt to new/changing circumstances and ambiguous/pressured situations.
- Ability to creatively propose solutions to indirect tax issues, while effectively considering associated risks
- Experience managing multi-state sales/use and fuel tax audits
- Accountable for results, approaches obstacles proactively, and looks for ways to mutually resolve problems and issues.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video