Houston, TX, US
Houston, TX, US
Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, TX, US
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
33939BR MOTIVA - Benefits and Compensation Accounting Advisor - Houston, TX United States Houston, TX Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
This position is in the Motiva Controller’s organization. The Motiva Controller’s team has responsibility and oversight for the financial records of Motiva.
This position works with a broad range of stakeholders including the CFO, Controller, Treasurer, Motiva Leadership team, and various service providers to ensure the accuracy of the books and financial statements. Because much of Motiva’s accounting activity is administered by various service providers this position must also be able to effectively communicate and network.
The role serves as the Motiva subject matter expert (SME) for employee benefits and compensation accounting, with significant interactions with Motiva Controller’s Group, Motiva Human Resources, Motiva’s third-party accounting services provider, Motiva’s third-party payroll and HR service provider, and Motiva’s actuaries. This role will provide guidance on proper accounting for accrued benefit expenses and liabilities including pensions, pension transition benefits, other post-employment benefit (OPEB) plans, annual bonus accruals, severance accruals, and long-term compensation.
As Motiva’s process expert for employee benefits and compensation accounting, this role will have the following responsibilities, among others:
- Coordinate and review work of Motiva’s actuaries related to valuations and analysis of pension and OPEB plans.
- Prepare financial statement footnotes and disclosures related to pension and OPEB plans.
- Process/validate quarterly transition benefit invoices related to non-Motiva administered pension plans.
- Calculate monthly expense accruals for pension and OPEB plans based on expense estimates provided by Motiva’s actuaries.
- Prepare company-sponsored benefit plan annual reports and related U.S. Department of Labor filings.
- Coordinate annual audits of benefit plans with external auditors.
- Prepare monthly benefits reserves schedules.
- Ensure that entries related to employee benefits are properly recorded.
- Prepare monthly benefits burden rate schedule and perform related analysis.
- Manage expense and balance sheet liabilities related to long-term compensation plans.
Work with business units and Motiva Human Resources to record and track accruals for severance payments.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, Finance, or related field, with a minimum of 20 hours in Accounting.
- Minimum five (5) years experience in finance and/or accounting with expertise in benefits and pensions accounting and financial reporting disclosures.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to multi-task and to work under pressure with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and problem solving.
- Proven experience with pension accounting.
- Proven experience with PUP.
- Proven ability to research and interpret information and to act proactively to develop knowledge of the business and its contracts.
- CPA preferred
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video