Skills: Electrical Engineering, Electrical Technician
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Rifle, CO, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
Location(s): CO - Rifle
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
Xcel Energy is looking for talented and experienced System Protection Technician Specialist at our Rifle System Operations Building in Rifle, Colorado.
The company reserves the right to close this posting at any time.
This challenging and rewarding position is responsible for the following:
- Ensure the proper, safe, reliable, and cost efficient operation and protection of electric system power production and /or delivery.
- This is accomplished through operational testing, maintenance, programming, calibration, commissioning, and functional analysis and evaluation activities on system protective relaying and system power control/monitoring equipment and devices.
- Communicates effectively and in a timely manner with customers concerning assigned tasks coordination and schedules.
- Establishes and maintains customer rapport and strong working relationships.
- Ensures that assigned tasks are completed in an effective, efficient manner, meeting schedule deadlines.
- Customers include internal and external personnel, departments, organizations, and companies.
- Analyzes and solves problems utilizing sound decisions based on wisdom, judgment, and due diligence.
- Works cohesively with and in partnership with other department and assigned functional area personnel to meet department and assigned functional area's goals and objectives.
- Continuously gains understanding and knowledge, and stays abreast of new technologies being utilized and of customer needs and expectations.
This position will be assigned tasks involving protective relaying and area metering and telemetry equipment in an electric distribution and transmission substation environment. Tasks will entail commission installation and testing, maintenance testing, investigation and analysis, trouble shooting, and repair of substation protective relaying and area metering and telemetry equipment.
In this position, you will need to be self-motivated, work well on a team and have a positive attitude. You may work in a variety of weather conditions, at heights and within confined spaces. You will be expected to respond to after hours and weekend call-out and to travel extensively for extended periods of time.
Successful applicants will have a High school diploma or GED and meet the following criteria:
- Associates Degree or other Certification in Electronics Technology, Applied Electronic Engineering, or Associate in Electrical Engineering or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the operation, maintenance, and testing of System protective and/or System power control equipment.
- Individuals must have a thorough working knowledge and understanding of computer usage, operating system software, and test, protective relaying and power control/monitoring equipment software application.
- Requires individual to be available for after hours scheduled and unscheduled work, emergency response, and callouts.
- Requires out-of-town travel with a company vehicle and stays overnight for completion of assignments, emergency responses, and callouts.
- Required to travel in adverse weather conditions to assignment destinations.
- Position is required to be able to lift, move, and carry equipment weighing up to 70 lbs.
- Adhere to, practice, and follow the corporate policies and procedures.
Selection criteria may include testing and/or assessment.
Steps in Xcel Energy's hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will calibrate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy-s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
- As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you-re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes:- CO - Rifle
Xcel Energy is a major U.S. utility which serves more than 3.5 million electric customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight states.
Our mission is to provide clean, safe reliable energy to our customers through a mix of sources including wind, solar, hydro, coal, nuclear and natural gas.