Skills: Electrical Technician, Electrician, Maintenance Technician
Other Skills: Journeyman level Substation Electrician, CDL
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Alamosa, CO, US
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Location(s): CO - Alamosa; CO - Pueblo
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
Xcel Energy is looking for talented and experienced Electric Substation Electrician/Technician(s) to join the Xcel Energy team in two different locations in Colorado!
-Alamosa Service Center in Alamosa, Colorado
-Pueblo Service Center in Pueblo, Colorao
Use your expertise and hands-on experience to build, repair and operate high voltage substations. Ensure that safe, reliable and cost-effective power is available for all of Xcel Energy's customers.
Selection criteria for non-bargaining applicants will also include an interview and pre-employment written and hands-on testing that will take place at a company training facility. The selection process for existing bargaining members IBEW Local 111, as described in PSCO/IBEW Local 111 Collective Bargaining Agreement, will be followed for all qualifying transfers.
The company reserves the right to close this posting at any time.
In this position, you will be required to:
- Install, construct, inspect, repair and maintain all electrical substation equipment such as: high voltage transformers, power circuit breakers and instrument transformers, structures, conductors, conduits, switches regulators, generators, motors, pumps, controls and other wiring.
- Quickly develop and demonstrate proficiency with Xcel Energy high voltage electrical equipment for safe operation and switching. Will be responsible to obtain and verify proper clearances and must have the ability to switch 345kv, 230kv, 115kv and all distribution high voltages. A working knowledge of lockout tag out policies and procedures will also be expected.
- Take the lead on learning, implementing and demonstrating key safety practices and procedures that follow Xcel energy's safety guidelines.
In this position, you will need to be self-motivated, work well on a team and have a positive attitude. You may work in a variety of weather conditions, at heights and within confined spaces: Successful applicants will have a High school diploma or GED and meet the following criteria:
- Must have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A.
- Must be a Journeyman level Substation Electrician who has completed an approved Substation Apprentice program or company approved equivalent program.
- Must have experience with operating and maintaining high voltage electrical substations.
- Basic knowledge of National Electric Code, FERC, Hazmat, OSHA regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift and maneuver up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to use an assortment of hand and power tools and electrical diagnostic equipment.
- Basic computer literacy and a familiarity with Microsoft Office products.
- Successful Candidates must live within 30 miles or 30 minutes of the reporting headquarters.
Steps in Xcel Energy's hiring process
- All qualified candidates will be sent an online assessment via e-mail. Applicants must successfully pass in order to be further considered.
- Candidates who successfully pass the assessment will be contacted to come in for an information session and interview.
- After attending our information session/interview, our Team Leaders will collaborate to decide which candidates are best qualified and offers will be made.
- Candidates who accept the employment offer will be required to pass Xcel Energy-s background check and drug test. This process can take up to two weeks before clearance is issued.
- After successful passing of the background check and drug test, candidates are ready to start the training class.
- As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you-re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes:- CO - Alamosa
Xcel Energy is a major U.S. utility which serves more than 3.5 million electric customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight states.
Our mission is to provide clean, safe reliable energy to our customers through a mix of sources including wind, solar, hydro, coal, nuclear and natural gas.