Skills: IT - Software Development
Experience: 3 + Years
Location: Asker, Norway
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Software Architect drives current and future technical solutions across a range of applications and technologies within the multiphase flow domain. Successful Software Architects own and communicate the architectural vision of the product/solution in their remit and provide guidance and context to the products under their supervision. Strong communicators, and with the ability to build cohesive and mutually respectful relationships within their team, the the Software Architect—among other duties— is responsible for:
- a managed portfolio of technologies and solutions
- delivering single complex technical solutions comprised of multiple domains
- the delivery of workflows using a number of disparate technologies and solutions
The position reports to the Product Line Manager and functionally to the Software Chief Architect.
The position will be within the domain of multiphase flow and Flow Assurance where we bring together global expertise in mathematical modelling, algorithm development, experimental and field data, petroleum engineering and software engineering to develop and support industry-leading software for the simulation of flow of oil, gas and water in networks of wells, flowlines, pipelines and process equipment. The OLGA simulator is market- leading and is used around the world to design, operate and optimize oil and gas transport systems, drilling operations and entire fields.
The Software Architect:
- Focuses on the system architecture, and also participates in implementation-oriented tasks.
- Ensures appropriate consistency of product line, systems and solutions architecture across multiple projects, as appropriate
- Participates in defining the vision and technology roadmap for a product line and assumes responsibility for issues of software and IT developments for executing this roadmap
- Participates in all major architecture and design decisions
- Interfaces with architects on related systems to ensure the system architecture fits within the overall product roadmaps, and defines interfaces for information exchange with other systems/software
- Coordinates design and integrity among system elements as they are being developed; recognizes when interface impacts might occur and takes early corrective actions
- Generates the highest level of system requirements based on stakeholder needs, the technology roadmap, and other constraints such as cost and schedule: this in collaboration with the Product Champion as the primary owner of system requirements
- Makes proofs of concept and codes prototypes to study new designs and solutions
- Performs technical risk management on the product line or system level
- Assumes ultimate decision making authority regarding project integration issues when required
- Coordinates, develops and mentors project architects
- Acts as the main representative from the product lines/program in contact with other organizations on issues of architecture
- Actively participates in intellectual property) decisions
- Author/co-authors technical papers
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Engineering, Science or Applied Mathematics or equivalent
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and technical writing
- Competency in Visual Studio, C++, C#, public APIs, .NET, OPC
- Knowledge in high performance computing or cloud computing experience is considered important
- Experience in development of scientific software is considered valuable
- Competencies to be kept current:
- Review and design methods
- Product development process
- Software and IT quality management
- Communication and presentation skills
- Problem solving
- A broad set of technical skills covering the areas of application of architecture, such as application development, embedded software, enterprise and business systems, high performance computing, and usability
Schlumberger Norway Technology Center is the Center of Excellence for Geology, Geophysics, Dynamic Multiphase Flow and Asset Optimization. We develop state of the art software applications for oil and gas exploration, appraisal, evaluation and production. Our activities span from software engineering to customer support, from technical documentation to quality assurance.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the leading provider of oilfield services, focusing on innovative technologies for reservoir characterization, drilling, and production. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.