Skills: Financial Analyst
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston One Allen Center, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
30316BR MOTIVA - Direct Tax Advisor - Audit United States Houston One Allen Center Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
This position is being created within the tax department to support Motiva’s direct tax audit functions. The position requires a deep knowledge in complex federal, state and local income tax issues across multiple jurisdictions and business structures. This is a non-managerial position that not only performs a slate of income tax audit defense work, but also provides technical tax expertise to other members of the direct tax team and the Business.
- Responsible for day-to-day responses to audit inquiries and interactions with agents and specialists;
- Effectively engage with the business and other tax advisors as needed to gather facts and information to defend tax return positions and develop reverse audit issues;
- Provide guidance to tax compliance regarding audit results, and makes recommendations regarding filing positions;
- Identify opportunities to engage with industry peers and tax advisors to learn current best practices for minimizing taxes and audit risk;
- Ensure adequate and accurate provision amount in place for all open direct tax amounts;
- Support and brief the Tax Team, Controller’s organization and Legal on income and franchise tax audit issues;
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry groups and government tax authorities to assist in shaping the external environment; and
- Thoroughly and accurately analyze information requests and prepare practical responses to the situation being questioned or raised by fiscal authorities;
- Prepare timely responses to inspections and requests from fiscal authorities coordinating related activities that anticipate questions and potential exposures in a way that supports tax positions taken on the tax return and limits additional requests;
- Manage and coordinate the audit by tracking and monitoring all outstanding requests, preparing and conducting presentations to fiscal authorities, managing all direct communications between fiscal authorities and specialists and Motiva business personnel.
- Respond to levies and notices as needed.
- Assist in the abatement of employment tax penalties;
- Assist in the development and execution of tax audit strategies that provide a workable timeline that can close tax years as quickly as possible with the resources available;
- Assist Tax Counsel and Outside Counsel as necessary in preparing protests and responses to Appeals;
- Coordinate the tax provision process as it relates to income taxes within the tax organization, including quarterly tax accruals, FIN48 analysis (identify and measure uncertain tax positions), tax footnote disclosure, and responding to inquiries from the external auditor;
- Provide support to compliance, legal and controller personnel in dealing with the state and local tax departments as needed; and
- Take part in special tax projects, processes and play active part in the external tax community.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Certified Public Accountant, in good standing, or equivalent.
- Minimum ten (10) years experience handling federal, state income and franchise tax audits.
- Proven experience in federal, state and local tax laws and regulations as well as soft skills in communications and negotiations especially as it relates to the defense of Motiva’s technical tax positions.
- Proven experience gaining and maintaining credibility with skeptical tax auditors.
- Expected to contribute to material business projects of strategic importance often working against tight deadlines.
- Proven experience in income tax laws, regulations, and administrative procedures. Particularly as it relates to oil & gas industries.
- Proven knowledge of the public accounting standards related to the tax provisioning process, and experience coordinating.
- Ability to evaluate tax risks, balance risk with Business objectives, and make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate, and supportive of the Business.
- Effective communicator of complex tax issues; both written and oral.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video