Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Houston One Allen Center, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
30317BR MOTIVA - Tax Counsel - Houston, TX United States Houston One Allen Center Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
This position is being created within the tax department to support Motiva’s direct tax planning requirements. The Tax Counsel will be responsible for US tax oversight of Motiva’s business operations in the US and managing and/or coordinating tax implications of any cross border transactions.
The Tax Counsel will manage a team of tax advisors and provide support to the General Tax Managers in his/her briefings, engagements, and other interactions with Senior Management in Tax and business leaders across Motiva.
- Deliver high value comprehensive, accurate, and timely direct tax advice to Motiva;
- Manage, coordinate and/or provide oversight of federal, state and property tax audits; and
- Providing concise, accurate, comprehensive, intelligible and timely tax advice to stakeholders on tax issues;
- Working with business stakeholders to develop and maintain a common agenda between Tax and the business(es);
- Structuring advice projects to enable effective execution;
- Understanding and constructively challenge business requests while looking for additional business activities that may benefit from tax advice;
- Taking part in special tax projects and playing an active part in the Tax Department where required;
- Supporting the development and implementation of standards and priority processes;
- Providing knowledge and commercial context to tax work;
- Representing Motiva on tax issues before governmental authorities and within industry and professional organizations concerning tax matters;
- Supporting representation and influencing efforts re lobbying for fiscal incentives and law changes on US Tax Matters;
- Assisting in raising tax awareness in the business through training and workshops;
- Identifying, developing and analyzing tax and cash flow savings;
Providing tax input to US portfolio and MA&D projects;
- Assisting in improving the tax efficiency of the corporate structure within area of responsibility;
- Establishing and aligning own priorities in accordance with those defined by relevant Business stakeholders;
- Monitor developments in US Downstream tax and develop contacts with tax consultants in order to ensure all projects and processes are being properly advised; and
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Minimum ten (10) years experience.
- Law degree.
- Proven experience in business taxation working for a multinational, industry or a professional firm with Downstream,
- Recognized professional qualification and member of a recognized accounting or legal professional body.
- Proven experience in direct tax law and practice across US and multiple States.
- Proven experience in US transfer pricing and Cross-Border planning
- Demonstrated experience communicating complex tax issues.
- Proven negotiation skills and effective at influencing others within and outside of Tax.
- Proven ability to evaluate tax risks, balance risk with Business objectives and make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate and supportive of the Business.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video