Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 6 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, TX, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
30318BR MOTIVA - Direct Tax Advisor - Houston, TX United States Houston, TX Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
This position is being created within the tax department to support Motiva’s direct tax compliance, reporting and planning requirements. Motiva is looking for a Direct Tax Advisor with a broad background in tax to assist with all federal and state compliance and reporting requirements for the company.
The Direct Tax Advisor will be responsible for preparing, analyzing, and reviewing Federal and State income tax returns. Additionally, this position is responsible for analyzing and completing the monthly, quarterly and annual Corporate Tax estimates due to the partners and other Income Tax projects throughout the year as assigned by management.
The position will also require use and maintenance of tax systems used for filing returns as well as supporting systems used in the computation of tax adjustments (examples: Right Angle, SAP, Fixed Asset Module).
- Prepare, analyze and review various returns and reports, dictated by different state and federal regulations, deadlines and reporting requirements;
- Interface with the Controller’s organization on tax compliance and reporting matters;
- Coordinate and ensure the accurate and timely filings of returns and payments thereof
- Make routine and nonroutine decisions with guidance from supervisor; Requires knowledge of general accounting principles and tax reporting, as well as the ability to implement and comply with new state and federal requirements; and
- Requires work to be performed independently with some direct supervision.
- Prepare and analyze complex tax equity partnership returns, tax basis and capital account workpapers;
- Prepare and analyze State Income/Franchise Tax Filings;
- Prepare tax balance sheet and stock basis calculation for all domestic legal entities;
- Prepare the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual income tax accrual due to partners;
- Prepare calculation and compile documentation of uncertain tax positions taken on any tax filing;
- Oversee the maintenance of electronic workpapers that facilitate the gathering of financial information into the company’s tax compliance software environment;
- Assist with external, internal and taxing authority audit requirements;
- Assist with annual reports preparation;
- Provide technology administration support for systems such as Corptax and PTMS;
- Oversee maintenance of depreciation systems / fixed assets information from fixed asset system;
- Prepare depreciation computations including tax, AMT, ACE and state;
- Maintain tax calendar within Corptax;
- Implement and maintain control procedures and monitoring tools to comply;
- LIFO inventory
- Reportable transactions
- Sec. 199 manufacturing deduction
- Tax credits
- Related-party transactions (effecting transfer pricing issues)
- Employee-related tax adjustments (stock options, pension, keyman life insurance, non-qualified benefits, etc.)
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Businesses;
- Assist in raising tax awareness across U.S. businesses through training and workshops; and
- Work on special projects, including Federal and State Tax Audits and Tax Planning projects.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA required.
- Minimum six (6) years of experience in federal and state tax planning and accounting in an industry role or as a tax services professional.
- Proven understanding of GAAP rules.
- Proven knowledge and experience in federal, state and local income tax law and practice.
- Must be proficient in corporate tax software systems, such as Corptax.
- Proven ability to research, understand and document tax technical positions utilizing available research software.
- Demonstrated experience in taxation related to partnerships/joint ventures is preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of tax transformation including technology, data and process design.
- Ability to evaluate tax risks, balance risk with Business objectives, and make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate, and supportive of the Business.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video