Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, TX, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
30320BR MOTIVA - Direct Tax Manager - Houston, TX United States Houston, TX Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
This position is being created within the tax department to support Motiva’s direct and property tax compliance, reporting and planning requirements. Motiva is looking for a Direct Tax Manager who can provide expertise for the tax function and lead a team of tax professionals to meet the requirements of the tax function.
This position is responsible for overseeing and completing the tax compliance required by the federal, state, and county taxing authorities related to the companies’ business activities. The manager must be knowledgeable of all statutory obligations as well as all internal and external deadlines; including, but not limited to, those imposed by corporate partners for financial reporting, and establish a work plan for timely completion.
Manage a team of tax advisors and provide support to the General Tax Manager in his/her briefings, engagements, and other interactions with Senior Management in Tax and business leaders.
- Ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Direct Tax Team, including supervising the advisors performing such services;
- Interface with the Controller’s organization on Income Tax and Compliance and Reporting matters;
- Ensure the accurate and timely filing of tax returns and payments thereof; and
- Work on other matters assigned where value and priorities dictate.
- Manage the State Income/Franchise Tax Compliance process and review returns and data analysis related to filings;
- Review tax balance sheet and stock basis calculation for all domestic legal entities;
- Oversee all systems supporting tax adjustment computations, including fixed asset maintenance;
- Review and present the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual income tax accrual due to partners;
- Responsible for determination of any estimated tax payments required to be paid by Motiva;
- Prepare detailed workplan and timeline for meeting all statutory and internal deadlines;
- Oversee the maintenance of electronic workpapers that facilitate the gathering of financial information into the company’s tax compliance software environment;
- Review depreciation computations including tax, AMT, ACE and state;
- Review tax calendar within Corptax and understand business changes to determine if tax calendar is accurate;
- Work on income tax projects including: tax research; communication with legal regarding new, dissolved entities, communication with business around data needs for department;
- Implement and maintain control procedures and monitoring tools to comply;
- Interface with internal and external auditors on income and property tax matters;
- Assist in raising tax awareness through training and workshops; and
- Manage preparation and/or review complex tax equity partnership return, tax basis and capital account workpapers; Work on special projects, including Federal and State Tax Audits and Tax Planning projects.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA required.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in federal and/or state tax planning and accounting in an industry role or as a tax services professional.
- Proven understanding of US GAAP rules, the ability to interpret the company’s books and records and transactional accounting.
- Proven understanding of the Internal Revenue Code, and demonstrate the ability to apply the appropriate rules and regulations to the company’s US GAAP financials.
- Experience maintaining fixed assets within SAP is preferred.
- Deep understanding of state and local taxation.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience managing staff in the assignment, preparation, review processes associated with the compliance work. Experience must include establishing process work plans, implementing work plans and ensuring work plan deadlines are met;
- Must be proficient in corporate tax software systems, such as Corptax.
- Proven ability to research, understand and document tax technical positions utilizing available research software.
- Proven experience in taxation related to partnerships/joint ventures is preferred.
- Experience with tax transformation including technology, data and process design is preferred.
- Proven communicator of complex tax issues; both oral and written.
- Proven ability to evaluate tax risks, balance risk with Business objectives and make recommendations that are objective, practical; technically appropriate and supportive of the Business.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video