Houston, TX, US
Houston, TX, US
Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, TX, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
30322BR MOTIVA - Tax Accountant – Motor Fuels - Houston, TX United States Houston, TX Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
The Indirect Tax team as a whole supports Motiva’s license to operate requirements in the US. The team supports indirect taxes such as; federal, state and local sales, use, motor fuel and environmental taxes. This also includes the following:
- Ownership and management of the financial tax accounts
- Ownership of the end-to-end tax accounting/compliance processes
- Communications with the government
- Provides stewardship and internal advice on indirect tax compliance matters
- External representation / participation with industry and government networks
The Tax Accountant Motor Fuels reports to the Indirect Tax Compliance Manager and is an integral part of the overall Indirect Tax team; filing accurate motor fuel tax returns and timely remitting Motiva’s indirect tax liabilities, ensuring the indirect tax general ledger accounts are properly stated and understood, and responding to governmental inquiries.
Day-to-Day Operational Motor Fuel tax compliance activities:
- Analyze, prepare and file accurate and timely state and local motor fuel tax returns
- Perform a monthly tax analysis and reconciliation to ensure proper tax remittance to the government
- Ensures timely implementation of new tax laws and rate requirements as it relates to motor fuel tax
- Facilitates and coordinates registration, license and surety requirements
- Effectively communicates motor fuel tax compliance matters and impact to stakeholders
- Coordinates audit defense of the motor fuel tax returns
- Adheres to the key performance indicators, SOx controls for the motor fuel tax compliance process
- Understands the tax reporting impacts of new business activities
- Makes timely and informed decisions using good judgment and a logical decision making process
- Issue resolution; includes managing and timely responding to inquiries via the telephone and email hotlines
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum five (5) years of downstream oil and gas experience.
- Proven experienced with E2E motor fuel tax compliance process, includes preparation and filing of returns.
- Proven knowledge of Avalara Return Excise.
- Proven experience with the E2E sales/use compliance processes including CorpSales.
- Demonstrated experience initiating and fostering dialogue to improve others understanding of critical and or complex issues and their resolutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of SAP (FI module).
- Proven experience with Microsoft Access and Excel.
- Effective in process developments and improvements.
- Proven experience dealing with escalated customer resolutions.
- Proven negotiation skills.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video