Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, TX, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
30324BR MOTIVA - Port Arthur Tax Advisor - Houston, TX United States Houston, TX Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry.
This position will be primarily responsible for providing Sales and Use Tax advice in support of Motiva’s Port Arthur manufacturing facility. The position will also serve as the Tax Focal Point for the facility, working closely with Motiva Tax, Finance and the Business.
- To deliver pro-active, value added advice regarding Texas sales and use tax;
- To support the Motiva Tax Team on audit, property tax and other tax matters as they relate to the Port Arthur manufacturing facility; and
- To develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide proactive, value-added Texas sales & use tax advice to support and further business goals and objectives and minimize indirect tax liability.
- Act as the Port Arthur refinery Sabrix focal point.
- Work closely with Motiva Tax and plant personnel to ensure accurate transaction coding to drive correct tax decisions.
- Perform ongoing (monthly) sampling and review of Motiva Port Arthur purchase transactions to identify sales & use tax errors.
- Provide regular, periodic sales & use tax training and awareness sessions to Port Arthur Finance and Contracts & Procurement personnel.
- Make ongoing sales & use tax corrections on the system.
- Work with various RtP stakeholder to ensure proper E2E handling of Texas sales & use tax accruals.
- Create and deliver sales & use tax tools to plant stakeholders.
- Ensure correct and timely reporting and remittance of Texas sales & use tax.
- Ensure identified value-based indirect tax issues are communicated to and corrected by impacted business units.
- Provide support to US Indirect Tax Audit team in connection with Texas Comptroller sales & use tax audit activity.
- Assist in developing and implementing sales & use tax controls impacting assigned clients/areas of responsibility.
- Conduct periodic reviews of US value-based indirect tax processes impacting Motiva’s operations to insure liabilities are being correctly handled.
- Actively represent Motiva in selected industry and professional organizations as assigned.
- Support the Motiva Tax Team on audit and property tax matters, including assisting in data gathering, managing interface between tax and the business, etc.
- Undertake special projects as assigned.
- Responsible for pro-active Texas sales & use tax advice involving a variety of complex business operations.
- Responsible for staying up-to-date on US indirect tax laws and developments.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining good, effective relationships with Motiva business personnel and stakeholders.
- Responsible for completing all duties and responsibilities effectively, without regular, close supervision.
- Regularly working in pressured and ambiguous situations, during a time of significant business expansion/change.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required, advanced degrees/CPA, and/or equivalent certification/experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of energy business and industry taxation experience.
- Proven knowledge of US value-based indirect tax laws/regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to discharge all duties and responsibilities without regular, close supervision.
- Proven ability to make process improvement recommendations and take the lead in implementing process improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to understand end users’ needs and translate into successful project delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to relay financial information in a way that people with little or no financial background can understand.
- Proven ability to create and manage complex spreadsheet.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video