Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: The Metropolis, Singapore
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
30510BR Markets Dealer Asia Pacific Singapore The Metropolis Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation. Shell Treasury Centre East is the regional Treasury Centre for the Asia Pacific region whose main activity is the provision of liquidity, FX, funding, and treasury expertise to the Groups businesses in the region.
This role is one of five dealers who are responsible for transacting Foreign Exchange and Money Market deals with external and internal counterparties throughout the region.
The principal responsibilities of a Markets Dealer are as follows:
- Ensure excellent execution of all transactions with due regard to controls over operational risks.
- Monitor intraday movements in the FX markets and manage FX positions for the Group in accordance with prescribed policies.
- Manage and fund short term financing requirements for STCE and other treasury companies.
- Manage onshore liquidity for Shell companies in regulated markets.
- As part of the dealing team, to support and cover other dealers.
- Provide support to treasury managers with regards to treasury centralisation and market knowledge as well as advisory services to cover management of FX/MM market trends, risks, and market liquidity.
- Troubleshoot, improve and standardise treasury processes across the region.
- Recommend and execute proactive hedging strategies relevant to Group’s corporate risk profile and FX risk management policy.
- Monitor movements in FX/MM markets as well as changes in FX & derivative regulations.
- Develop skills and level of professionalism aimed at providing treasury expertise to businesses.
- In addition to the day-to-day operational markets execution work, other responsibilities will include support for the implementation of treasury integration projects and assisting in strategic Initiatives In areas such as cash forecasting, taxation, funding and capital structure.
- Deliver projects in the annual Liquidity & FX Project Plan as required.
- Work closely with the London Treasury Centre staff to maintain and test Treasury’s global BCP.
Position description - Special Challenges
- The external operating environment for Group treasury is rapidly evolving and presents significant challenges (by way of increasing regulations) as well as opportunities (technological advancements in execution and analysis) for the Group. The candidate is part of a team helping to manage these challenges and capturing the opportunities to maximize value for the Group.
- The Treasury Centre operates in a number of highly regulated countries with complex tax, legal, accounting and political considerations.
- There is a history of currency crises in the region and the Markets team needs to maintain relationships and plans that enable us to manage the associated risks and adapt quickly as market conditions change.
- The role involves interaction with external counterparties across the region and requires the ability to work effectively with different languages, cultures and business customs. It also requires managing and building relationships with various internal stakeholders (Treasury Managers, Business Service Centres, Tax, Legal, Controllers, IT) in the region. Therefore effective communication and negotiating skills, including the ability to articulate market intricacies and exposure management, are vital.
Position description - Additional comments
- Due to the regional nature of the Treasury Centres activities, this role will require the incumbent to work on some Singapore public holidays (with appropriate off-in-lieu compensation)
- As part of Treasury’s global business continuity plan, Singapore acts as fallback site for the London centre. In the event that the plan is activated (and during at least two tests per year) staff in the Singapore centre will be required to work outside of normal office hours.
- The key characteristics for success in this role Includes the ability to thrive In a high performance team culture with a proactive and commercial problem-solving approach, a strong sense of responsibility and ownership, as well as effective inter-personal skills to build relationships with both external and internal counterparties In the region.
- This role is for treasury specialists with a minimum 5 years’ experience in a corporate treasury. Prior trading experience in a bank or other institution with money markets, foreign exchange, investment or risk management instruments may be considered.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiating skills. Ability to work well within a team environment to seamlessly support teammates and team goals is non-negotiable.
- Professional Finance Qualifications (e.g. ACT or CFA) are advantageous
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video