Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Houston, TX, US
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
27174BR MOTIVA - Legal Counsel, Fuel Sales & Marketing - Houston, TX United States Houston, TX Motiva Enterprises is on a journey to become the safest and most profitable downstream company in the U.S. More than 3,700 dedicated professionals comprise the 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Saudi Aramco. Motiva has refineries located in Convent and Norco, Louisiana and Port Arthur, Texas with combined capacity of over 1 million barrels per day, making it the third largest manufacturing company in the Americas. A strategic distribution network of product terminals across the eastern and southern parts of the U.S. delivers quality gasoline and petroleum products to nearly 8,300 Shell-branded retail outlets. Be part of a dynamic and nimble organization where your talents are rewarded and your efforts make a difference in the company’s performance.
As announced on March 16, Motiva’s owners have signed a non-binding Letter of Intent to separate the assets and businesses of the joint venture. Saudi Aramco publicly stated at that time Motiva will be set up as an autonomous integrated downstream affiliate. As such, Motiva remains committed to managing its current business and preparing the organization to function as a stand-alone entity. Motiva is seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference in the company and the industry. Motiva is currently seeking Legal Counsel, Fuel Sales & Marketing (FSM), to join our legal team in Houston, TX.
As Legal Counsel - FSM, this position is accountable for ensuring the effective delivery of cost effective and practical legal advice and support to Motiva’s Fuel Sales and Marketing business. The position is expected to coordinate and collaborate with other subject matter legal experts and support functions. This position may also be required to work on other commercial legal matters or support businesses outside of FSM as needs and priorities may require from time to time.
A day in the life of a Motiva Legal Counsel, Fuel Sales & Marketing:
- Providing legal advice and support to Motiva’s FSM business.
- Drafting, analyzing, and ensuring that contracts and other documents reflect commercial decisions, legal obligations and risk mitigation strategies undertaken by the business.
- Collaborating with other lawyers and support functions within Motiva in support of the FSM business.
- Communicating and negotiating with counsel for business partners, joint ventures, other third parties, and regulatory or government agencies.
- Identifying legal risks, sensitivities, potential problems and proposing constructive, realistic solutions to the business.
- Identifying options for achieving client objectives within applicable legal restraints and working cooperatively toward legal resolutions.
- Communicating with clients and updating them on significant developments in the matters handled.
- Engagement and management of external counsel where outside expertise is necessary.
The dimensions of this role include the following:
- No direct reports.
- Interface across various business lines and functions.
- Interface with counsel for business partners, joint ventures, regulatory or government agencies, and other third parties.
- Coordinate delivery of legal advice and support activities with other Motiva support groups and legal colleagues.
- Supervise and direct, paralegals, administrative assistants and other internal support resources in handling assigned matters.
We are looking for someone with the following Skills, Experiences and Qualifications:
- Must have legal authorization to work in the U.S on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Must be an Experienced lawyer with a deep legal and commercial understanding of the FSM business, regulatory scheme, and experience with joint ventures.
- Extensive commercial contract drafting, analytical, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience providing support to other projects and businesses as may be necessary from time to time.
- Excellent writing, analytical, communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven abilities to deliver advice in the context of the business objectives and with a commercial mindset, to identify and appreciate the significance of legal issues, to recognize legal and reputational risk, and to develop cost effective legal and business resolutions are also imperative for this position.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video