Skills: CAD / CAM, Client Representative, Design Engineer, Drafting, Electrical Engineering, Energy / Commodity Trading, Helicopter Pilot / Operations, Laboratory Ops / Tech, Modeling, Project Engineer, Project Management, Purchasing, QA / QC / Inspection, ROV Ops / Tech
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Salary: TBD Upon Experience
Location: Baton Rouge, LA, US
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
NorthStar Energy Services offers engineering, procurement, project management, construction management, and consulting solutions to clients in the energy, petrochemical, and process industries. Our clients include oil & gas processing and transportation, refining, chemical, polymers, and industrial gases companies.
NorthStar has offices in Houston, Texas, Grand Prairie, Texas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Our core employees have worked together for more than fifteen years, executing and managing projects around the country. Our team of professionals, from junior engineers to senior technical experts, has experience in applicable process technologies, program management, conceptual and design engineering, construction management, commissioning and start-up.
The Baton Rouge office, provides full service Engineering, Project Management and Construction support for Midstream clients in the oil & gas industry.
Job Title: Sr. Electrical Engineer
This is the senior level position for the engineering discipline. The person, with minimal supervision, is responsible for independently applying advanced engineering techniques and analysis for problems and methods. The person may provide technical guidance to experienced drafters/designer and engineers. Work at this level usually requires extensive progressive experience in general engineering. The person performs any other tasks or duties as assigned by supervision, including work at higher or lower levels as needed.
Essential Job Duties and Functions:
- Responsible for design engineering work on projects of moderate size and complexity under supervision of Principal Engineer or Department Manager.
- Provide general electrical design for oil and gas transportation and processing facilities.
- Perform job duties independently.
- May function as discipline lead on projects.
- Has comprehensive knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, codes, and procedures for their discipline.
- Can write discipline scope or work for projects and proposals.
- Develop electrical design deliverables such as electrical site plans, conduit plans, wiring diagrams, one-line diagrams, control diagrams, motor schematics, PLC layout / termination drawings, wire schedules, lighting panel schedules, electrical equipment installation details, etc.
- Participate in internal and client meetings to develop project requirements, define delivery schedules, and report progress.
- Perform sizing, selection, and specification of electrical components and instrumentation.
- Prepare cost and resource estimates.
- Evaluate equipment and construction bids.
- Ensure detailed electrical engineering meets design specifications, codes and engineering standards.
- Interface as necessary with Company engineering and project management, drafting, purchasing, as well as outside consultant engineering firms, inspection, and operations personnel.
- Provide input toward the continuous improvement of Company engineering standards and specifications.
Electrical Specific Functions:
- Duties as discipline lead include:
- Tracking the project's man-hour budget, as well as coordination with other engineers and designers, communications with project engineers and client representatives.
- Expected to estimate man-hours for electrical work for a project proposal.
- Responsible for the design, installation and technical support of electrical distribution systems.
- Has comprehensive knowledge of the specification and design details for electrical equipment. This will include but not limited to one-line and elementary diagrams, breaker control schematics, area classification, national electrical codes and industry standards.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate effectively with a wide range of technical, analytical and managerial personnel.
- Willing to travel to the job site and meet with clients and construction personnel as necessary to scope the project and collect information for design.
- Experienced in handling multiple projects simultaneously and effectively prioritizing tasks.
- Ability to read, understand and develop control loop drawings, P & IDs, and electrical schematics.
- Have a broad knowledge of industry standards ( NEC, ISA, API, IEEE, NFPA, IEC, etc.).
- This position requires BS Degree in a related Engineering discipline from an accredited College/University, and related course work with eight years previous experience required.
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) is desired.
- Problem Solving: Must be able to understand and interpret technical material. Must be able to solve problems quickly, completely, accurately, and to the satisfaction of all parties involved.
- Knowledge/Skills: Must be self-motivated and possess good organizational skills. Must be able to work alone and accomplish responsibilities with only general direction. Must be able to work as part of a team. Must pay close attention to details, follow high standards for accuracy and completeness, and accept constructive criticism from coworkers.
- Communication Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Client Contact: Must have the ability to work with clients to fulfill their project related issues.
- EPC experience.
- Experience with in a AutoCAD environment.
- Experience with the design of low and medium voltage electrical power distribution systems and motor control centers.
- Experience with engineering software design tools and electrical modeling program (SKM, ETAP, etc.) for use in conducting power studies, short circuit calculations, coordination studies, and arc flash calculations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Quanta Services safely provides engineering, procurement and construction services for comprehensive infrastructure needs in the electric power and oil and natural gas industries. With a workforce tens of thousands strong and offices across North America and abroad, Quanta is the premier provider in the industries it serves. Through a team of electric power and oil and gas service companies, Quanta Services is the complete solution.