Clough Reports Strong Financial Results in '09/10
Clough announced a strong performance for the 2009/10 financial year, recording improved financial results. Underlying earnings before interest and tax increased by 13% to $63.6MM, total revenue from continuing operations increased by 26% to $805.0MM, and order book closed at $1B Cash holdings increased in the year to end at $107MM.
- Continuing operations:
- o Total revenue increased 26% to $805.0MM.
- o Underlying earnings before interest and tax, up 13% to $63.6MM.
- o Net profit after interest and tax (NPAT) continuing operations up 4% to $51.1MM.
- Statutory NPAT of $50.1m compared to $52.4MM in 2008/09.
- Work in hand at June 30, 2010 totaled $1B.
- Acquisition of 31.3% Forge shareholding completed; cash investment of $55MM in April 2010. Strategic Alliance implemented.
- Completion of Petrosea sale in July 2009.
- Final settlement achieved with the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation in December 2009, cash collected.
- Strategic investment in Ocean Flow International, Peritus, Clough Helix Joint Venture and Clough Seam Gas.
- Cash holdings increased to $107MM; net cash of $51.6MM.
- Continued improvement of HSE performance, LTIF of 0.36.
Commenting on the performance, Clough's CEO, John Smith stated, "In the past year Clough has achieved a strong operational result while continuing to build our order book with world class LNG projects. Major awards in the period include the EPCM contract on Chevron's Gorgon LNG Project (as part of the Kellogg Joint Venture) and the Upstream Infrastructure and EPC4 contracts on Exxon's PNG LNG project. In the same period we resolved our dispute with ONGC and made significant progress in the implementation of our strategy as an engineering-led EPC contractor to the oil and gas industry."
A number of key acquisitions and investments were made during the period, the most high profile being a major shareholding and strategic alliance with the Forge Group, formalized in April 2010.
Clough Seam Gas, established in May 2010, sees Clough enter the coal seam gas market with a team of industry experts dedicated to providing EPC services to the promising coal seam gas industry in Queensland.
Investments to strengthen Clough's participation in the subsea and marine construction sector included the acquisition of Ocean Flow International and investment in Peritus International, a subsea, pipelines and floating structures engineering specialist, established in January 2010. Both businesses are currently performing to plan.
The Clough Helix Joint Venture, announced in February 2010, offers a wide range of subsea services from well intervention to subsea construction and the Normand Clough has mobilized for the JV's first project for China National Offshore Oil Corporation in the South China Sea.
Looking to the future, Mr. Smith commented, "Current oil prices and recovery in the financial markets will, we expect, stimulate offshore oil and gas projects and return the subsea sector to growth. The prospect for Australian gas to provide an increasing proportion of world LNG supply looks bright. We will continue to work hard to equip Clough to deliver in these two important sectors."
- Australia's Clough Bags 2 Engineering Services Contracts (Apr 06)
- Clough Bags Hook-up Services Contract for Ichthys FPSO from DSME (Jan 28)
- SHI Awards Ichthys LNG Project CPF Hook-up Services Contract to Clough (Jan 27)