TNK-BP Won't Try for Stake in Petrom

TNK-BP has decided against placing a preliminary bid in the privatization of Romanian oil company SNP Petrom, the Romanian economy ministry said Wednesday.

A spokesman for the ministry said TNK-BP - which is half owned by U.K. oil major BP PLC - paid a $20,000 fee to review Petrom's books, but later told Economy and Trade Minister Dan Ioan Popescu in a letter that it would not make a preliminary bid.

Last month, the government selected 11 companies it said were suitable to take part in Petrom's sell-off. They were TNK-BP; Poland's PKN Orlen SA; Hungary's MOL; Austria's OMV AG; U.S. companies ConocoPhillips, Occidental Oil & Gas Corp. and Alon Inc.; Russia's OAO Gazprom; Italy's Eni SpA ; Hellenic Petroleum SA and Switzerland's Glencore .

Currently, 7% of Petrom's shares are traded publicly. The government owns the remaining 93% stake and wants to reduce its holding by selling a 33.34% stake to a trade buyer. The winning bidder would then be obliged to raise its interest to 51% by taking up an additional share capital increase.

The deadline for receiving preliminary bids for Petrom is November 21.
Events  SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Our Privacy Pledge
SUBSCRIBE


Most Popular Articles


Brent Crude Oil : $48.06/BBL 2.51%
Light Crude Oil : $45.77/BBL 2.17%
Natural Gas : $2.97/MMBtu 2.30%
Updated in last 24 hours