Origin Energy Nears TD at Redback
AWE Limited reported that at 0600 hours (WA time), the Redback-2 well was drilling ahead at a measured depth of 3,609 meters. Progress for the week was 550 meters.
The Redback prospect straddles the permit boundary between L11 and EP 320 in the onshore Perth Basin and is located 2 kilometers east- northeast of the Beharra Springs gas plant.
The well is being drilled from the Redback-1 well pad to a total measured depth of approximately 3,980 meters by Weatherford 826. The well will assess the gas potential of the Wagina Sandstone, which is productive at the nearby Beharra Springs and Redback South gas fields, and also retrieve a core in the lower Kockatea Shale to assess the shale gas potential of the unit.
Redback-1 which was drilled in 2004 did not intersect the target Wagina Sandstone due to it having been faulted out and the well was therefore not a definitive test of the structure. Subsequently, Redback South-1 was drilled in 2009 on an independent structure to the south of the Redback Fault. The well encountered gas filled reservoir in the Wagina Sandstone, which has tested at a stabilized rates of 11.5 million cubic feet of gas per day limited by test facilities.
Following Redback-2, the joint venture will drill the Wolf-1 exploration well, which will further test the Redback South fault block.
Participants in the Redback-2 well and L11 are:
- AWE Limited 33.0%
- Origin Energy Developments (Operator) 67.0%
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)