PetroVietnam Announces $1B Gas Pipeline Project
Petrovietnam Gas Corp. (PV Gas), Chevron Vietnam Ltd. (US), Mitsui Oil Exploration Co. Ltd. (MOECO) (Japan), and PTT Exploration and Production Public Co. Limited (PTTEP) (Thailand) on Thursday signed a business cooperation contract (BCC) for the Block B Gas Pipeline Project, with the participation of representatives of the Government of Vietnam and related ministries and agencies. The ceremony was held in Petrovietnam's Head Office in Hanoi.
The Block B Gas Pipeline Project, which will be operated by PV Gas, will have a total investment of approximately US$1 billion, of which PV Gas holds 51 percent, and foreign partners including Chevron, MOECO and PTTEP hold 49 percent. The project, when completed, will transport natural gas from Block B&48/95 and Block 52/97, off the Southwest coast of Vietnam, with a capacity of 18.3 million cubic meter per day (equivalent to 6.4 billion cubic meter per year) to power plants at the O Mon Power Complex, Tra Noc of Can Tho City (total capacity of 3,000 MW), and to the power and fertilizer plants in southernmost province of Ca Mau Province, as well as to other consumers in the South Western Region.
The 400 km pipeline will be the longest pipeline in Vietnam, with an offshore section of 246 km and 152 km on shore, reaching Can Tho City through the Provinces of Hau Giang, Kien Giang, Bac Lieu, and Ca Mau.
The signing of the BCC to develop the Block B Gas Pipeline Project among PV Gas, Chevron, MOECO, and PTTEP will help to ensure the country's energy security and to promote industrial development in the Mekong Delta. The project will also save a significant amount of foreign currency for Vietnam on fuel imports, create more employment for the community, protect the environment by using a clean fuel, ensure a stable source of power, and open opportunities to connect with the gas pipeline systems of other countries in the region.
At the ceremony, PV Gas President & CEO Do Khang Ninh said, "I am proud to say that today's signing ceremony is the result of a close and successful relationship and cooperation among partners. This agreement will contribute to Vietnam's energy development in the future and to PV Gas's leading role in Vietnam's gas industry."
Chevron Vietnam Ltd. President Hank Tomlinson said, "Today marks the start of a long-term pipeline partnership. We look forward to working closely with our partners to move the Vietnam Gas Project forward in 2010 and the following years."
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- Chevron To Study Mexican Oil Block, No Drilling Seen In First 4 Years (Nov 30)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
Company: PetroVietnam more info
- Vietnam Court Sentences to Death PetroVietnam Ex-Chairman in Mass Trial (Sep 29)
- Asia Oil Refinery Delays Favor Producer Case for Extending Output Cuts (May 22)
- Vietnam's Sole Refinery Plans to Sell 5-6 Pct Stake in IPO in Q4 (May 22)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: PTT Exploration & Production Company Plc (PTTEP) more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Thailand's PTTEP Delays Canadian Oil Sands Project At Cost Of $550MM (Oct 19)
- Thai PTTEP to Invest At Least $1.7B in 2017 to Maintain Output (Oct 03)
- PTTEPI, PC JDA Sign Add-on Deal to PSC for Block 17-01 in Gulf of Thailand (Sep 01)