Jurong Shipyard to Deliver West Orion in 2Q 2010
West Orion, the third from the series of four turnkey ultra-deepwater semi-submersible drilling rigs built by Sembcorp Marine's subsidiary Jurong Shipyard for Seadrill Limited, is on track for delivery in early second quarter of 2010 following its official naming.
The rig was christened "West Orion" by Lady Sponsor Mrs Ingfrid Gjengedal, the wife of Mr Alf Ragnar Lovdal, Senior Vice President of Seadrill’s Tender Rig Division, during a ceremony on February 27, 2010 in the presence of key representatives from Seadrill and Jurong Shipyard.
West Orion echoes the success of sister rigs West Sirius and West Taurus which were delivered by Jurong Shipyard in 2008. The yard demonstrated its strong turnkey expertise in semi-submersible construction by being the first to deliver on-time a total turnkey semi-submersible rig, the West Sirius, to Seadrill in March 2008. The next turnkey semi-submersible rig, the West Taurus, was delivered one week ahead of schedule in November 2008.
West Orion is one of twelve Friede and Goldman (F&G) ExD Class semi-submersible ultra-deepwater drilling units built by Jurong Shipyard. Six of these F&G semisubmersible units had been successfully delivered by the yard. The dynamic-positioning semi-submersible is engineered for deep drilling capabilities of up to 37,500 feet in dynamic positioning mode in ultra-deepwaters of up to 10,000 feet.
Upon delivery, West Orion will commence a six-year contract with Petrobras for development drilling operations offshore Brazil. West Taurus, the second rig delivered to Seadrill by Jurong Shipyard, is also on a six-year charter with Petrobras.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
- CEO: Brazil's Petrobras Could Bid On More Blocks In Pre-Salt Auction (Oct 24)
Company: Sembcorp Marine more info
- Rig Builder Sembcorp Marine 2Q Net Profit Falls 51% (Jul 27)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Brazilian Government Plans to Open Talks with Keppel, Sembcorp Marine (Sep 05)
Company: Jurong Shipyard more info
- NADL, Jurong Shipyard Extend Standstill Agreement for West Rigel (Jun 08)
- Maersk Drilling Acquires Newbuild Jackup from Hercules Offshore for $190M (May 27)
- Sembcorp Marine Dismisses EIG's Allegations on Sete Brasil Investment (May 25)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)