Anadarko Aces First Deepwater Find Offshore Mozambique
Anadarko announced the Windjammer exploration well in the frontier Rovuma Basin offshore Mozambique has reached an intermediate casing point and encountered more than 480 net feet of natural gas pay in high-quality reservoir sands, with a gross column of more than 1,200 feet. To date, this well has tested one of the seven identified play types in Anadarko's operated acreage offshore Mozambique.
"The intermediate results of the Windjammer well are positive for the partnership and the people of Mozambique," said Bob Daniels, Anadarko Sr. Vice President, Worldwide Exploration. "This is true rank wildcat exploration, and to have our first deepwater exploration well result in a discovery with more than 480 net feet of pay, thus far, is a strong indication of the potential of this basin. The Windjammer discovery de-risks a substantial portion of approximately 50 leads and prospects that we've identified across our 2.6-million-acre position in the basin."
To date, the Windjammer well has been drilled to a depth of approximately 14,000 feet in about 4,800 feet of water, approximately 30 miles east of the Mozambique coastline. The company anticipates drilling another 4,100 feet in this well to gain additional geological information prior to reaching total depth.
After testing the deeper objectives in the well, Anadarko plans to move the Belford Dolphin drillship to its Collier prospect less than 50 miles south-southeast of Windjammer. Anadarko also expects to drill two to four additional exploration wells in the Rovuma Basin this year, with initial well results from Windjammer and Collier determining which prospects are drilled next.
Anadarko is the operator with an approximate 43-percent paying interest in the well. Co-owners in the well are BPRL Ventures Mozambique B.V. (11.75 percent), Cove Energy Mozambique Rovuma Offshore, Ltd. (10 percent), Mitsui E&P Mozambique Area 1, Limited (23.5 percent) and Videocon Mozambique Rovuma 1 Limited (11.75 percent). Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos, ep's 15-percent interest was carried through the exploration phase.
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
- Anadarko To Spend $2.5B On Massive Share Buyback (Sep 20)
- Harvey Could Become First Hurricane to Strike Texas Since 2008 (Aug 23)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Dolphin Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Anadarko Terminates Drilling Contract for Belford Dolphin Drillship (Mar 16)
- Cairn Postpones Spanish Point Drill Due to Rig Delays (Jul 09)
- Newbuild Bolette Dolphin Drillship Unveils in South Korea (Jun 20)
Company: Cove Energy plc more info
- Aminex Appoints New Exploration Advisor (Apr 07)
- Ex-Cove Energy Team Launches Africa-focused Explorer (Mar 11)
- PTTEP Set to Raise $3B in Rights Offering; To Fund Cove Acquisition (Nov 30)