Chevron Consortium Digs into Venezuelan Heavy Oil Project
A consortium led by Chevron's Venezuelan subsidiary has been selected to negotiate its participation in a project composed of three blocks in the Orinoco Oil Belt (Faja) of eastern Venezuela.
"We look forward to being part of this new opportunity that will expand development of one of the world's largest known hydrocarbon resources," said Chevron Vice Chairman George Kirkland.
Situated in the eastern area of the Faja, approximately 40 miles (65 kilometers) to the northeast of the city of Puerto Ordaz, the three blocks have a combined area of 215 square miles (557 square kilometers).
"We are pleased with today's announcement and the prospect of negotiating an opportunity to expand our partnership with Petróleos de Venezuela S.A. (PDVSA) and the Venezuelan communities," said Ali Moshiri, president of Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production Co. "Chevron's growing presence in Latin America's resource-rich basins highlights the company's ability to fully integrate our experience and technology into the successful development of large, complex projects."
It is expected the consortium of Chevron, INPEX Corporation, Mitsubishi Corporation and Suelopetrol will hold a combined 40 percent interest in the empresa mixta (joint company). PDVSA will hold the remaining 60 percent interest.
In Venezuela, Chevron currently holds a joint venture interest in PetroPiar, an integrated extra-heavy oil project in the Faja; joint venture interests in PetroBoscan and PetroIndependiente; joint venture participation in Plataforma Deltana Blocks 2 and 3 to produce natural gas; and an interest in Venezuela's first liquefied natural gas project, which is currently under evaluation. Chevron also operates the offshore Cardon III block north of Lake Maracaibo in the Gulf of Venezuela.
Chevron is a leading heavy oil producer and has broad capabilities within its portfolio of specialized technologies. It is a world leader in thermal enhanced oil recovery and has a global network of research and development in heavy oil refining, conversion and upgrading. It currently produces heavy oil in Brazil, California, Indonesia, the U.K. North Sea, and the Partitioned Zone between Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, and operates a Heavy Oil Center of Expertise in California.
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
- Japan's JERA Imports First LNG Cargo Shipped From Chevron's Wheatstone Site (Nov 13)
- Chevron Canada Okays Duvernay Development (Nov 07)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Venezuelan Oil Output Heads to 29-Year Low as Cash Crunch Grows (Nov 10)
- US Oil Service Firms Face Hit from Venezuela Debt Restructuring (Nov 06)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Japan's Inpex Says Ichthys LNG Project On Track For March Start (Nov 08)
- Statement: Indonesia To Extend Inpex's Masela LNG Contract By 27 Years (Oct 19)
- Ichthys LNG Subsea Contract Goes to Wood Group (Sep 06)
Company: Mitsubishi more info
- Mitsubishi Heavy Bets on New US Turbomachinery Demand (Feb 17)
- Shell-Led Group Delays Decision On Canada Gas Export Plan (Jul 12)
- Japanese Banks Expand To Ranks of World's Biggest Energy Lenders (Jun 09)
Company: Suelopetrol more info
- INPEX Enters JV for Venezuela's Carabobo Consortium (May 13)
- Chevron Consortium Digs into Venezuelan Heavy Oil Project (Feb 11)
- Seniat Serves Suelopetrol with US$2.16mn Tax Bill (Jun 12)