Marathon Completes Sale of Block 32 Interest to Sonangol
Marathon Oil has completed the sale of a 20% undivided working interest in the Production Sharing Contract and Joint Operating Agreement in Angola Block 32 to Sonangol's wholly owned subsidiary, Sonangol Pesquisa e Producao, S.A. Under previously announced terms, the transaction has an effective date of Jan. 1, 2009. Marathon will retain a 10% working interest in Block 32.
"Through this sale, Marathon has been able to capture exploration value and bring better balance to our overall portfolio by redeploying capital into other growth regions for the Company. At the same time, maintaining a 10 percent interest in both Blocks 31 and 32 provides Marathon with exposure to this important resource base," said Dave Roberts, Marathon executive vice president, Upstream.
The 12 previously announced discoveries on Block 32 include: Gindungo, Canela, Cola, Gengibre, Mostarda, Salsa, Caril, Manjericao, Louro, Cominhos, Colorau and Alho. Conceptual development studies are under way in order to establish the feasibility of a first development area in the central southeastern part of Block 32.
The concessionaire of Block 32 is Sonangol E.P. The operator is Total Exploration and Production Angola (Block 32 Ltd) with 30% interest. Sonangol E.P. holds a 20% interest; Esso Exploration and Production Angola (Block 32) holds a 15% interest; and Petrogal holds a 5% interest.
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)
Company: Petrogal more info
- Petrobras Confirms Oil Find at Pitu North-1 Well in Brazil's Potiguar Basin (Nov 18)
- First Oil Flows from 7-SPH-04-SPS Well in Sapinhoa Field in Santos Basin (Apr 07)
- SBM in $3.5B FPSO Deal (Jul 15)