Nexen Wraps Up Drilling Activity at Dry North Sea Well
Nexen Exploration Norge AS, operator of production license 419, is in the process of completing the drilling of wildcat well 35/9-5. The well is located about six kilometers southwest of the Gjøa field in the North Sea.
The objective of the well was to prove petroleum in the Agat formation in Lower Cretaceous reservoir rocks. The well did not encounter the reservoir rocks as expected in the Lower Cretaceous. However, non-mobile petroleum was encountered in reservoir rock with little thickness and poor reservoir quality deeper in the Cretaceous. Data acquisition and sampling have been carried out. The well is classified as a dry well.
The well is the first exploration well in production license 419, awarded in APA2006. The well was drilled to a vertical depth of 3513 meters below the sea surface and was terminated in the Middle Jurassic. The water depth at the site is 365 meters. The well will now be permanently plugged and abandoned.
Well 35/9-5 was drilled by the West Alpha semisub, which will now proceed to production license 433 in the Norwegian Sea to drill wildcat well 6506/9-2S where Centrica Resources Norge AS is the operator.
The licensees in production license 419 are:
- Nexen Exploration Norway AS (op) 45%
- PGNiG Norway AS 25%
- OMV Norge AS 30%
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: OMV more info
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Norwegian Petroleum Directorate more info
- NPD Grants Lundin Permit for Appraisal Well Offshore Norway (Jan 20)
- Aker BP Makes North Sea Find (Dec 23)
- Norwegian Production Rises (Dec 21)
Company: PGNiG more info
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
- Poland's PGNiG To Receive LNG Spot Delivery From Statoil In September (Sep 05)
- Poland Suspends Russian Gas Supplies Via Yamal Pipeline Due To Poor Quality (Jun 21)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)
- Seadrill Warns Again Of Chapter 11 As Extends $14B Debt Talks (Jul 26)