Nigeria in Negotiations with Shell, Chevron
ABUJA, Nigeria (AFP), Jan. 20, 2010
The Nigerian government is in talks with Chevron Corp. (CVX) and Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSA) over the renewal of their shallow-water oil licenses, an official statement said Tuesday.
"Chevron and Shell are still in negotiations with the Federal Government...over the renewal of their expired licenses," a statement by the ministry of petroleum resources quoted Junior Oil Minister Odein Ajumogobia as saying.
The statement countered media reports that the renewal of the licenses was stalled due to the absence of President Umaru Yar'Adua.
Yar'Adua left Nigeria Nov. 23, and has since been receiving treatment in a Saudi Arabia hospital for a heart ailment.
"The minister of petroleum resources has the full authority under extant laws to renew leases and licenses," the statement said. It said no specific authorization from the presidency was required.
In May 2008, the state-run Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation signed an oil-financing deal worth $2 billion with Mobil Producing Nigeria, a unit of Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM).
The same month, the Nigerian state-run company signed a similar deal worth $1 billion with Elf Petroleum Nigeria Limited.
Copyright (c) 2010 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)
Company: Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. (NNPC) more info
- Nigeria's State Oil Company Signs Deals With Chevron, Shell (Aug 03)
- Nigeria To Continue Oil Exploration In Lake Chad Basin Despite Kidnapping (Jul 31)
- Nigeria Says Has Rescued Oil Firm Staff Kidnapped By Suspected Boko Haram (Jul 26)