Northern Launches 3D Seismic in West Sicily Thrust Belt
Northern has commenced 3D seismic operations in the West Sicily thrust belt that will cover four licenses -- G.R17.NP, G.R20.NP, G.R21.NP and G.R22.NP. A total of up to 1520 km² of 3D seismic data will be acquired in these licenses with the survey expected to last approximately two months.
The seismic acquisition is part of the work program being funded by Shell Italia E&P S.p.A. (Shell) as part of the farm-in arrangement announced in December 2008. The aim of the survey is to obtain a better quality, and more complete, definition of the encouraging structures identified by the two previous 2D seismic campaigns, and firm up prospects for drilling.
The seismic acquisition has been contracted to Petroleum Geo-Services Asia Pacific-Pte Limited and the 3D data is being acquired using the vessel 'M/V Atlantic Explorer' utilising GeoStreamer technology to enhance resolution. Under the terms of the farm-out agreement Shell holds 55% in G.R17.NP, and 70% in G.R20.NP, G.R21.NP and G.R22.NP.
"The West Sicily Thrust Belt is part of the major thrust system incorporating large oil fields in the Southern Apennines and continues into Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco. Northern considers it prospective for both oil and gas. This survey will be processed and interpretation undertaken to enable prospects to be defined for a drilling decision later this year," commented Derek Musgrove, Managing Director, Northern Petroleum.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Northern Petroleum more info
- Northern Petroleum Agrees Cascina Alberto Farm-Out with Shell (Mar 05)
- Northern Petroleum's Latest Alberta Well Proves Uneconomic (Feb 10)
- Northern Drills First Wells in Current Program in Alberta (Sep 17)
Company: Petroleum Geo Services ASA more info
- Borders & Southern Pens Seismic Deal with PGS (Oct 02)
- Chariot Raises Funds as it Prepares for Tapir South Drill (Mar 20)
- Petroleum Geo-Services Briefs Prelimeinary Results for 4Q, FY10 (Feb 17)