North Sea Wildcat Purrs for Petro-Canada
Petro-Canada Norge AS, operator of production license 375, has completed the drilling of wildcat well 34/4-11. The well is located 15 km northwest of the Snorre field in the northern North Sea.
The objective of the well was to prove petroleum in the Brent group in Middle Jurassic rocks, and in the Dunlin group and the Statfjord formation in Lower Jurassic rocks.
The well proved oil in the Brent group and in the Statfjord formation. The estimated size of the discovery is between 7 and 40 million standard cubic meters of contingent resources. Further appraisal will be needed.
The well has not been formation-tested, but extensive data acquisition and sampling have been carried out. The production license has decided to abandon the well temporarily, with a plan for subsequent appraisal.
The well is the first exploration well in production license 375, which was awarded in connection with APA 2005.
The well was drilled to a vertical depth of 4296 meters below the sea surface, and was terminated in Late Triassic rocks.
Well 34/4-11 was drilled by the Songa Delta semisub in 375 meters of water. The facility will now proceed to production license 476 in the Norwegian Sea to drill wildcat well 6507/11-10, where Det norske oljeselskap ASA is the operator.
The licensees in production license 375 are:
- Petro-Canada Norge AS (operator): 65%
- Wintershall Norge ASA: 20%
- Spring Energy: 15%
Manages 20 Offshore Rigs
- Odfjell Secures New Well Services Contracts (Sep 10)
- Odfjell Offshore Raising up to $500M to Develop Fleet (Mar 12)
- Odfjell Lands Record Breaking Deal with BP (Jan 11)
Company: Norwegian Petroleum Directorate more info
- NPD Grants Lundin Permit for Appraisal Well Offshore Norway (Jan 20)
- Aker BP Makes North Sea Find (Dec 23)
- Norwegian Production Rises (Dec 21)
Company: Petro-Canada more info
- C-NLOPB Approves Hebron Application (May 31)
- Petro-Canada to Fire Up Syrian Gas Production Soon (Apr 06)
- Faroe: Possible Hydrocarbons Found in North Sea Well (Mar 23)
Company: Wintershall more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Libya's NOC, Wintershall Strike Interim Deal To Resume Output (Jun 13)
- BASF Sees Role of Oil and Gas Unit Declining Further (May 12)
- Norway Awards 56 Oil And Gas Licences In Mature Areas (Jan 17)
Company: Spring Energy more info
- Tullow Completes Acquisition of Spring Energy Norway (Jan 22)
- Tullow Buys Spring Energy Norway (Dec 11)
- North Sea Wildcat Purrs for Petro-Canada (Jan 11)