BP Said to Nix Bid for Stake in Jubilee - Bloomberg
(Dow Jones), Jan. 7, 2010
BP has abandoned plans to bid for Dallas-based Kosmos Energy LLC's stake in the Jubilee oil field in Ghana, Bloomberg News reported Wednesday, citing two people familiar with the matter. Talks between BP and Ghana National Petroleum Corp. over a joint offer for Kosmos's Ghanaian assets broke down in recent weeks, the sources said. The withdrawal may pave the way for Exxon Mobil Corp.'s planned purchase of Kosmos's Jubilee stake for at least $4 billion. Jubilee is estimated to have potential resources of 1.8 billion barrels.
A spokesman for U.K.-based BP declined to comment. An ExxonMobil spokesman also wouldn't comment, except to say that the U.S. major "routinely evaluates potential development opportunities around the world."
Kosmos, which is backed by private-equity firms Blackstone Group LP and Warburg Pincus LLC, said Oct. 12 that it had agreed to sell its Ghana assets, including a 23.49% stake in Jubilee, to ExxonMobil.
Copyright (c) 2010 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- ExxonMobil to Evaluate Offshore Mauritania Blocks (Dec 04)
- ExxonMobil To Merge Refining And Marketing Divisions (Dec 01)
Company: Kosmos Energy more info
- BP's West Africa Partner Kosmos To List In London By End-September (Aug 02)
- BP, Kosmos Make Major Gas Find Off Coast Of Senegal (May 08)
- BP to Create New LNG Hub in Africa with Latest Kosmos Buy (Dec 19)
Company: Ghana National Petroleum more info
- Russia's Gazprom Signs LNG Supply Deal With Ghana (Sep 18)
- National Petroleum: Ghana Oil Output To Hit Up To 110,000 Bpd In 2014 (Apr 08)
- Ghana President Names New Head of State Oil Company (Sep 20)