Smith Acquires Petrobras Contract
Smith International, Inc. announced that on December 31, 2009 its PathFinder Energy Services business acquired a contract with Petroleo Brasileiro ("Petrobras") representing an estimated $80-100 million of revenue over the 3-year term and substantially all of the directional drilling assets from San Antonio International do Brasil.
It is anticipated that employees supporting the contract will be retained and future operations will be provided by PathFinder through the newly completed Smith facility in Macae, Brazil. "The new base is a state-of-the-art facility bringing together all Oilfield Segment divisions of Smith under one roof. The addition of this contract provides a pivotal piece in our region-wide initiative to provide Optimized Drilling Services to Brazil and the region," stated Nigel Evans Geographic Business Unit VP for Smith in Latin America. Although PathFinder has been working for Petrobras in Brazil for several years, San Antonio had previously been the lead contractor through which PathFinder served clients in the country.
"This deal provides a significant operating base for Smith and PathFinder in one of the fastest growing markets in the world," stated Brent Janner, President of PathFinder Energy Services. "We are confident this transaction is a key step to expanding our formation evaluation and directional drilling services throughout Latin America."
PathFinder Energy Services is a provider of directional drilling services including drilling motors, measurement-while-drilling and one of only five companies worldwide offering a complete line of logging-while-drilling services. In addition to its operations in Brazil, PathFinder has operations in the United States, Canada, the North Sea, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Bolivia, Romania and Kazakhstan.
Smith International, Inc. is a leading supplier of premium products and services to the oil and gas exploration and production industry. The Company employs over 21,000 full-time personnel and operates in over 80 countries around the world.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Smith International, Inc. more info
- Schlumberger, Smith Offer to Repurchase up to $1.87B in Debt (Sep 22)
- Schlumberger Finalizes $11B Merger with Smith International (Aug 30)
- US Dept. of Justice OKs Schlumberger-Smith Merger (Jul 27)
Company: PathFinder Energy Services more info
- Smith Acquires Petrobras Contract (Jan 05)
- PathFinder Commercializes New iFinder Technology (Jul 07)
- Sondex Names Kolaric Business Development Manager (Feb 25)