Reliance Successfully Assesses KG D6 Deepwater Facilities
Within a month of emerging as the largest producer of natural gas in India, Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) successfully carried out an assessment of the design capacity of the KG D6 deepwater gas production facilities on December 23rd, 2009.
A flow rate of 80 million standard cubic meters was achieved through the KG D6 facilities and delivered to RGTIL's East West Pipeline. Presently, RIL is producing about 60 million standard cubic meters of gas which is being supplied to several priority sectors identified by the Government of India under its Gas Utilization Policy.
Since commencement of production in April this year, the field has produced over 8.5 billion cubic metres of gas, contributing significantly to the country's critical industrial sectors.
The gas supply from the KG D6 facility has already impacted various aspects of the country's economy including:
- The Index of Industrial Production (IIP) has acknowledged the significant contribution of the production of KG D 6 in the double digit growth registered by the mining sector in the last two successive quarters.
- With increased availability of gas, production of indigenous fertilizers has increased and cost of production reduced, thereby resulting in savings of about Rs. 4000 Crore per annum in Government subsidies
- Production of indigenous fertilizers has increased in the country with the availability of gas
- Significant improvement in the gas based power generation in the country during April-November representing a growth of about 30 percent.
- The power deficit both in terms of energy and peak power in India during April to November this year has been reduced significantly.
RIL started gas production in six and a half years from discovery, in comparison to the world average of 9-10 years for similar deepwater production facilities. Continuous gas production for about 9 months, with 100% uptime, once again demonstrates its flawless commissioning
and execution capabilities.
- OPEC's Output Curbs Squeeze World's Biggest Oil Refining Complex (Oct 16)
- India's Reliance Industries 2Q Profit Up 7%, Lags Estimates (Oct 13)
- India's Reliance Sells US Shale Asset for $126 Mln (Oct 06)