Devon Adds Itaipu Pre-Salt Find to Anadarko's Wahoo Success
Devon has announced a pre-salt oil discovery on block BM-C-32 in the Campos Basin, offshore Brazil. The 1-DEV-15-ESS exploratory well on the Itaipu prospect was drilled to a total depth of 16,240 feet and encountered approximately 240 feet of oil column, at least 90 feet of net oil pay and no oil/water contact. The Itaipu well was drilled to a total depth of approximately 16,300 feet in 4,400 feet of water.
Devon's partners in block BM-C-32 include Anadarko Petroleum Corporation with a 33.3-percent working interest. SK Energy Co., Ltd. holds the remaining 26.7-percent working interest.
The Itaipu discovery is located 78 miles southeast of Vitoria City, Espirito Santo State, in 4,400 feet of water. It is approximately six miles southeast of the giant pre-salt Jubarte Field and 16 miles north of the 2008 Wahoo discovery on block BM-C-30. Devon has a 25-percent working interest in both the Wahoo discovery well and a successful appraisal well drilled at Wahoo earlier this year.
"With the addition of the Itaipu discovery to our previous success at Wahoo, we have created significant value in Brazil, while just beginning to explore our Campos Basin prospects," said David A. Hager, executive vice president of exploration and production. "As we move forward with plans to divest our international properties, we will continue to focus on maximizing the return on these assets to our shareholders."
Block BM-C-32 is one of seven offshore exploratory blocks in Brazil held by Devon, six of which are in the pre-salt trend. Devon has identified 20 prospects (including Wahoo and Itaipu) on its leases with net unrisked resource potential of 2 billion to 4 billion barrels of oil. Transocean's Deepwater Discovery drillship, currently under long-term contract to Devon, will be used for the 2010 exploration program which includes four planned wells on concession BM-C-34 as well as delineation of the Itaipu discovery.
Additionally, Anadarko and partners are preparing to sidetrack Wahoo #2 to gather additional data from the well. Once sidetrack drilling is complete, the partnership plans to move the rig to the Wahoo discovery well to conduct a drillstem test and then return to Wahoo #2 for another drillstem test. This activity is in addition to Anadarko's plans to drill up to two exploration/appraisal wells on block BM-C-30 in 2010.
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Devon Energy more info
- US Shale Producers Promise both Higher Output and Returns (Nov 03)
- Devon Energy 3Q Profit Beats Estimates (Oct 31)
- Shale Drillers Show Few Signs of Slowing as Profits Expand (Aug 02)
Company: SK Energy more info
- S. Korea's SK Energy Buys First US Crude Oil In Move Away From Middle East (Aug 08)
- Maersk Oil to Purchase Brazilian Assets for $2.4B (Dec 23)
- Gulf United Energy Appoints New Officers (Dec 22)