Marathon Makes Small Gas Discovery in Greater Alvheim Area
Marathon Petroleum Norge AS has concluded the drilling of wildcat well 25/4-10 A. The well, which encountered gas, was drilled on the South Kneler prospect about six kilometers south of the production vessel on the Alvheim field in the North Sea.
The first branch of the dual branched exploration well was an oil discovery, Viper, which will most likely be developed as a tie-back to the Alvheim FPSO.
The objective of the well was to prove petroleum in Paleocene reservoir rocks (the Heimdal formation). The well encountered gas in two sandstone layers which were six meters thick in total in the Lista formation. The reservoir rock is significantly thinner than expected and the size of the discovery is not commercially interesting at this time.
No formation testing was conducted in the well, but extensive data acquisition has been carried out. The licensees in the production license will evaluate the discovery together with the 25/4-3 Gekko oil and gas discovery proven in 1974 and located just east of this well.
Well 25/4-10 A is the seventh exploration well in production license 203, awarded in the 15th licensing round in 1996. 25/4-10 A was drilled to a vertical depth of 2167 meters below the sea surface, and was terminated in Paleocene rocks (the Heimdal formation). The water depth is 126 meters. The well has been permanently plugged and abandoned.
The well was drilled by the Transocean Winner semisubmersible drilling rig, which will now proceed to production license 338 in the North Sea to drill appraisal well 16/1-13, where Lundin Norway AS is the operator. Lundin has 15 percent working interest in PL203 with partners Marathon Petroleum Norge AS (operator) and ConocoPhillips Scandinavia AS.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
- For ConocoPhillips, Harvey A Test Of Remote Operations (Sep 07)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
- Newcomer Borr Scoops Up Transocean Rigs For $1.4B As Dealmaking Heats Up (Mar 20)
Company: Lundin Petroleum AB more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Lundin Board Proposes Malaysia, France, Netherlands Asset Spin Off (Feb 13)
- Swedish Oil Firm Lundin Sees Output More Than Doubling Next Decade (Feb 01)
- Lundin's Development Expenditure to Top $1B in 2017 (Jan 19)