OMV Strikes Success at Deepwater Tornado Sidetrack
OMV's 100% subsidiary OMV (U.K.) Limited has confirmed the presence of gas and oil in the Tornado well in the UK West of Shetlands sector with both an initial discovery and successful sidetrack. The discovery well 204/13-1 and sidetrack -1z were drilled in a water depth of 1,048 meters using the Stena Carron drillship and are OMV (U.K.)'s first operated exploration wells in deepwater West of Shetlands. Further appraisal drilling is required before making a development decision.
The initial well, was spudded on September 26, 2009 and, following discovery of hydrocarbons, the sidetrack well was started on October 17 and reached a total depth of 2,638 m. An extensive set of data has been collected in order to allow early determination of the commercial viability of the discovery. Operations were completed on November 1st with an excellent safety record.
The original well, 204/13-1, discovered gas and oil in Tertiary reservoir sandstones which are approximately 90 feet thick, with average porosity of 28.5%. The sidetrack, 204/13-1Z, drilled approximately 120 feet of sandstone with average porosity of 29%. The thickness, quality and extent of the reservoir are in line with pre-drill prognosis.
The gas-oil contact which was penetrated in the original well was encountered in the sidetrack at the same depth. An oil-water contact was penetrated in the sidetrack consistent with the oil column observed in the original well. Extensive sampling of the fluids has been undertaken.
Helmut Langanger, OMV Executive Board member responsible for Exploration and Production stated, "We are very pleased that our first deepwater exploration well in the UK has resulted in a discovery and also that the Stena Carron operation has been conducted safely and efficiently. This proves that OMV can perform exploration operations also in challenging offshore areas."
OMV has developed its operating capabilities in the UK substantially over the last two years and is now looking forward to developing these further as the results of the Tornado wells are evaluated and preparations for appraisal and a subsequent development decision are made.
This exploration success comes as the culmination of substantial commitment to exploration and appraisal drilling by OMV over the last two years in its Atlantic Margin core area, including appraisal wells on the Rosebank and Cambo discoveries, in which OMV has non-operated interests. Both projects are seen as good candidates for development.
The Tornado discovery is located approximately 10km northwest of the Suilven discovery and 30km northwest of the Schiehallion, Foinaven and Loyal producing oil fields. The participants in the well are OMV 35% and operator, Dana Petroleum 30%, Dong Energy 20%, Faroe Petroleum 7.5%, and Idemitsu E&P 7.5%.
- European Oil Majors Seek To Harness US Offshore Wind (Aug 01)
- Billionaire Ratcliffe Hunts Oil to Repeat Chemicals Empire Build (May 24)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
Company: OMV more info
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Dana Petroleum more info
- Dana Petroleum Raises Concerns Over EnQuest North Sea Discovery (Jul 05)
- SDX Energy Quits Cameroon Concession In 'Sensible' Move (Jun 16)
- Denmark Issues 16 Oil, Gas Licenses (Apr 06)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)
Company: Stena Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Norway Rig Workers Agree Wage Deal, Avoid Strike (Jun 25)
- Statoil Takes $350M Hit on Angola Exploration Halt (Nov 21)
- 3Legs Sells its Last Polish Shale Gas Concessions (Nov 05)
Company: Idemitsu more info
- OMV Says Wisting Arctic Discovery May Exceed 1B Barrels (Nov 17)
- Tullow Oil: Discovery Made in Cara Prospect Offshore Norway (Sep 16)
- Aker Secures FEED Deal from Idemitsu for Blocks 05-1b, 05-1c Off Vietnam (Jul 12)