Tornado Hits Oil and Gas West of Shetland
Dana Petroleum reported that the OMV-led consortium has made a discovery at the Tornado prospect, offshore West of Shetland, UK.
OMV as operator for the license has completed the drilling of the Tornado exploration well 204/13-1 located approximately 10km northwest of the Suilven discovery and 30km northwest of the Schiehallion, Foinaven and Loyal producing fields.
The well discovered gas and oil in Tertiary reservoir sandstones and extensive data collection is currently underway. The thickness and quality of the reservoir is in line with pre-drill prognosis. A sidetrack is being planned to delineate the discovery and determine hydrocarbon fluid types and overall size of this new field.
The Tornado well was drilled to a true vertical depth of 2743m in the Lamba Formation. The water depth at this location is 1048 meters and the well was drilled by the Stena Carron drillship as a cost sharing endeavour between production licenses P.1190 and P.1262.
The participants in the Tornado well are OMV (Operator) 35%, Dana Petroleum 30%, Dong Energy 20%, Faroe Petroleum 7.5%, and Idemitsu E&P 7.5%.
Operations have been completed on the September exploration prospect in the Gulf of Suez Egypt. The main Nubia target contained good quality sands however these were not hydrocarbon bearing at this location.
Dana spudded the Jetta well in the Jotun oil area of the Norwegian North Sea on October 11, 2009. Results are expected from this well in November.
Dana's Chief Executive, Tom Cross commented, "The discovery of hydrocarbons at Tornado is an important result as it lies in an area of the UK Continental Shelf where Dana and Faroe Petroleum have very strong positions as the key independents. We look forward to the sidetrack well to determine the ultimate size of this new field."
Graham Stewart, Chief Executive of Faroe Petroleum commented, "We are very pleased to announce the successful outcome of this exploration well. Tornado is Faroe's second Atlantic Margin exploration success, following within a month of the Glenlivet discovery, and we look forward to providing a further update on the results of the Tornado well analysis in the near future."
- European Oil Majors Seek To Harness US Offshore Wind (Aug 01)
- Billionaire Ratcliffe Hunts Oil to Repeat Chemicals Empire Build (May 24)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
Company: OMV more info
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Dana Petroleum more info
- Dana Petroleum Raises Concerns Over EnQuest North Sea Discovery (Jul 05)
- SDX Energy Quits Cameroon Concession In 'Sensible' Move (Jun 16)
- Denmark Issues 16 Oil, Gas Licenses (Apr 06)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)
Company: Stena Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Norway Rig Workers Agree Wage Deal, Avoid Strike (Jun 25)
- Statoil Takes $350M Hit on Angola Exploration Halt (Nov 21)
- 3Legs Sells its Last Polish Shale Gas Concessions (Nov 05)
Company: Idemitsu more info
- OMV Says Wisting Arctic Discovery May Exceed 1B Barrels (Nov 17)
- Tullow Oil: Discovery Made in Cara Prospect Offshore Norway (Sep 16)
- Aker Secures FEED Deal from Idemitsu for Blocks 05-1b, 05-1c Off Vietnam (Jul 12)