Sakhalin Secures $1.4B in Largest Russian Project Financing
Sakhalin Energy, a company jointly owned by OAO Gazprom (Gazprom), Royal Dutch Shell plc (Shell), Mitsui & Co., Ltd. (Mitsui) and Mitsubishi Corporation (Mitsubishi) with Mitsui holding a 12.5% stake, signed a US $1.4 billion project finance contract with a consortium of international commercial banks. This finance contract is a significant milestone for the Sakhalin II project.
Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI), an export credit agency owned by the Japanese government, will provide overseas united loan insurance (investment and loan insurance for natural resources and energy). Based on the project finance contract and the NEXI insurance, the consortium banks will provide Sakhalin Energy with fund totaling US $1.4 billion. In this context, Mitsui, along with other shareholders of Sakhalin Energy, signed a sponsor guarantee contract providing guarantees for the loan until the completion of the project.
Sakhalin Energy already signed a US $5.3 billion project finance contract with Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) and a consortium of international commercial banks in June, 2008 to fund a part of the development cost of the project. The US $1.4 billion this time is additional funding and will be used to finance the completion of the full scope of works of the Sakhalin-2 Phase II project, including the ongoing drilling program for gas and oil production.
This additional funding will contribute to the stability and economics of the project and, eventually to the energy security of Japan.
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
- Russia's Gazprom Signs LNG Supply Deal With Ghana (Sep 18)
- Gazprom Says Sanctions Won't Stop Nord Stream 2 Pipeline Project (Aug 30)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Sakhalin Energy Investment Co. more info
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Sakhalin Energy Appoints BMT to Provide Weather Forecasting Services (Mar 16)
- Sakhalin Energy Delivers 100th Cargo of Russian LNG (Jan 29)
- Sakhalin Energy Welcomes New Chief Executive Officer (Dec 07)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Mitsubishi more info
- Mitsubishi Heavy Bets on New US Turbomachinery Demand (Feb 17)
- Shell-Led Group Delays Decision On Canada Gas Export Plan (Jul 12)
- Japanese Banks Expand To Ranks of World's Biggest Energy Lenders (Jun 09)