Stena Carron Spins Bit at Tornado Prospect, West of Shetlands
Faroe Petroleum reported that drilling has commenced on the Tornado prospect (Faroe 7.5% working Interest), west of Shetlands.
Tornado is an oil prospect, located 130 km west of the Shetlands Islands in 1,100m of water adjacent to the undeveloped BP‐operated Suilven field, and within tie‐back distance of the producing Schiehallion oil field.
Faroe was awarded the Tornado interest under the UKCS 22nd Licensing Round and in May 2007 farmed down on promoted terms half of its 20% interest to Idemitsu E&P UK Limited. This was in line with Faroe's strategy of farming‐out the majority of drilling costs to reduce its cost exposure whilst retaining material remaining interests.
Following the farm-out, Faroe holds a 10% interest in Block P.1190 (Block 204/13) which represents a 7.5% working interest in the Tornado prospect under the terms of a joint activity agreement with the adjacent licence holders (P.1262, Block 204/14b).
The drilling operation is to be undertaken by the operator OMV (UK) Ltd using the Stena Carron drillship.
Graham Stewart, Chief Executive of Faroe Petroleum commented, "We are very pleased to announce the start of the drilling operations on the Tornado prospect. Tornado is the second well to be drilled in the firm five‐well Atlantic Margin exploration drilling program which Faroe is undertaking, and follows on from our very recent Glenlivet discovery which is currently being appraised with a side‐track well.
"Following Tornado, we are scheduled to drill three further high impact exploration wells in the Atlantic margin, namely the Anne Marie oil prospect in the Faroes (operated by Eni), the Cardhu oil prospect in the UK (operated by BP) and the Lagavulin oil prospect in the UK (operated by Chevron)."
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
- Increasing the World's Oil Reserves with Digitization (Oct 09)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
- Italy's Eni Confident Of Dividend Even With Lower Oil Prices (Jul 28)
Company: OMV more info
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)
Company: Stena Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Norway Rig Workers Agree Wage Deal, Avoid Strike (Jun 25)
- Statoil Takes $350M Hit on Angola Exploration Halt (Nov 21)
- 3Legs Sells its Last Polish Shale Gas Concessions (Nov 05)