ExxonMobil Resumes Drilling at Beryl in UK North Sea
Mobil North Sea Limited Liability Company, an ExxonMobil subsidiary, as operator, announced on behalf of itself and co-venturers (Hess Limited, Enterprise Oil Limited (Shell) and OMV (U.K.) Limited) that it will recommence drilling activities at the Beryl field in the northern North Sea.
Detailed studies have identified additional drilling opportunities and the co-venturers have approved funding to recommence drilling. The initial drilling program will involve three wells drilled from the Beryl Alpha platform. The new work is expected to increase the workforce by over 80 personnel and involve new capital investment of around $200 million.
The additional production from the new wells is expected to help offset the decline from existing production wells.
Commenting on the announcement, Lee Tillman, ExxonMobil North Sea Production manager, said, "The decision to recommence drilling has been taken after exhaustive geological, reservoir and drilling studies. The investment in this project reaffirms the Beryl partners' confidence in the future of the Beryl field."
Work is ongoing to identify and mature opportunities to extend the drilling program.
The Beryl area fields achieved total cumulative production of 1 billion barrels of oil and condensate in 2009, 33 years after production commenced.
Beryl Alpha Platform
The Beryl Alpha platform is a fixed gravity-based concrete structure comprising the main production platform, a bridge-linked riser access tower and flare tower. Connected pipelines come from subsea wells and the Beryl Bravo platform, and gas is exported via the SAGE pipeline. Crude is stored in the concrete structure and offloaded to shuttle tankers via single point moorings.
The Beryl field is located in the UK sector of the northern North Sea, approximately 335km north-east of Aberdeen at a water depth of 117.5m. Production began in 1976 with an estimated 25-year production period.
Ownership of the Beryl Field:
- Mobil North Sea LLC (operator) -- 50%
- Hess Limited -- 22.22%
- Enterprise Oil Limited (a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell plc) -- 22.78%
- OMV (U.K.) Limited -- 5%
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Hess Corporation more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Hess: World Needs New Offshore Oil Investments to Avoid Shortages (Sep 28)
- Hess Slashes 2017 Capital Budget After Quarterly Loss (Jul 26)
- Suriname Signs Offshore Oil Deals with ﻿Exxon, Hess and Statoil (Jul 14)
Company: OMV more info
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Enterprise Oil Limited more info
- BP to Proceed with Clair Phase 3 Appraisal (Mar 28)
- ExxonMobil Resumes Drilling at Beryl in UK North Sea (Sep 08)
- Enterprise Oil Limited Plans to Repurchase Shares (Oct 18)