OGX, Maersk Oil Start Drilling Offshore Brazil
OGX Petróleo e Gás Participações S.A., the largest Brazilian private sector oil and natural gas company in terms of offshore exploratory acreage, announced that drilling of well 1-MRK-2-SPS in the Abacate-1 prospect, located in the BM-S-29 block in the Santos Basin, was initiated on August 16th. OGX holds a 65% working interest in the block and Maersk Oil, the operator, has 35%.
OGX has stakes in 22 exploration blocks in the Campos, Espirito Santo, Para-Maranhao and Santos basins.
The BM-S-29 block is located 130km from the coast of São Paulo state, southeast of the city of São Paulo, at a water depth of approximately 100m. The Sovereign Explorer semisub, provided by Transocean, is drilling well 1-MRK-2-SPS. It is expected to take approximately three months to reach all five of the mapped targets.
"Interpretation of the 3D data for BM-S-29, combined with recently announced discovery at a distance of 18km from the block, has confirmed our view of the substantial potential of BM-S-29. We are confident that this is a promising exploration area, and pleased to have initiated the drilling of our first offshore well," commented Paulo Mendonça, OGX's General Executive Officer.
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
- Newcomer Borr Scoops Up Transocean Rigs For $1.4B As Dealmaking Heats Up (Mar 20)
Company: Maersk Oil & Gas more info
- Maersk Oil CEO To Step Down After Total Takeover (Sep 27)
- Maersk Stands to Get Another $7.5 Billion for Energy Divestments (Aug 21)
- Fars News Agency: Maersk Sees Up To 140,000 Bpd Potential For Iran Field (Aug 01)
Company: OGX more info
- AziLat Acquires OGX's Stakes in 2 Blocks Offshore Brazil (Oct 19)
- Brazil's Oleo e Gas to Cut 40% of Workforce (Jan 22)
- Brazil Regulator to Mull Revoking Block Rights of Batista Oil Company (Jan 28)