Santos Strikes Gas in Browse Basin Offshore Western Australia
Santos confirmed that the Burnside-1ST1 exploration well in permit WA-281-P in the Browse Basin offshore Western Australia has encountered a 65 meter gross gas column in the primary target, the Brewster Sandstone. Further work will be done to determine the commercial significance of the discovery.
The Burnside-1ST1 well is located approximately 450 kilometers from Broome and approximately 40 kilometers from Ichthys and other discovered fields. The water depth at location is 215 meters.
Wireline logging has indicated the presence of gas throughout the relatively low-permeability sandstone interval. Pressure data acquired within the reservoir supports the potential for the gas column to extend below the base of the sand. The reservoir penetrated in the Burnside-1ST1 well is within the same geologic formation that is gas-bearing in nearby fields such as Ichthys, Mimia and Prelude.
Santos Vice President Exploration, Trevor Brown said, "It's pleasing to make a discovery in a basin with so many developments under consideration. Further work will now be done on recovered samples to understand the reservoir characteristics and an appraisal plan will be developed to define the size of the resource."
The Burnside-1ST1 well will be plugged and abandoned as planned.
Santos operates the WA-281-P Permit in the Browse Basin with a 47.8306% interest on behalf of Joint Venture Partners Chevron Australia (WA-281-P) Pty Ltd (24.83%), INPEX Browse Ltd (20%) and Beach Petroleum Ltd (7.3394%).
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
- Australia's Santos To Focus On Long-Life Gas In Growth Push (Dec 08)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statement: Indonesia To Extend Inpex's Masela LNG Contract By 27 Years (Oct 19)
- Ichthys LNG Subsea Contract Goes to Wood Group (Sep 06)
- Australia's $180B LNG Megaproject Boom Enters Final Stretch (Aug 14)
Company: Beach Petroleum more info
- Beach Commences Production from Middleton Gas Project (Jan 09)
- Beach Says Hello to Mr. Rod Rayner (Nov 11)
- Beach Energy Gains Majority Control of Adelaide Energy (Nov 10)