Murphy Oil Pumps First Oil at Thunder Hawk
Murphy Oil announced that the Thunder Hawk field located in Mississippi Canyon Block 734 in the Gulf of Mexico has commenced production. The field lies in over 5,700 feet of water, approximately 145 miles southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana.
A semisubmersible floating production unit with production capacity of 45,000 barrels of oil per day and 70 million cubic feet per day of natural gas is being utilized. The field will initially produce from three subsea wells connected via flow lines to the facility.
Murphy Oil Corporation's President and Chief Executive Officer, David M. Wood, said, "Production from Thunder Hawk will be ramped up during the second half of the year and should contribute nicely to our increasing production profile."
Murphy serves as operator and has a 37.5% working interest in Thunder Hawk. Partners are Eni (25%), StatoilHydro USA E&P, Inc. (25%), and Marubeni Oil & Gas (USA) Inc. (12.5%).
About Thunder Hawk
Discovered on Oct. 27, 2006, the Thunder Hawk discovery well, or well No. 1 ST1, was drilled by the Transocean Marianas semisub and encountered 300 feet (91 meters) of net oil pay in two high-quality reservoir zones.
Verifying the previous discovery, an additional well was drilled in 5,716 feet (1,742 meters) of water, and encountered more than 500 feet (152 meters) of net pay in two high-quality sands.
Following a successful appraisal of the discovery, Thunder Hawk was deemed commercially viable with estimated recoverable reserves of 50 to 80 MMboe.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
- Pilot Energy Inks Deal to Acquire Murphy's Stake in Permit WA-481-P Off WA (Jul 27)
Company: Marubeni Corp more info
- JOGMEC, Inpex, Marubeni Ink Exploration Deal with Rosneft (Dec 15)
- Indonesia's Small-Scale LNG Plans Face Several Challenges (Apr 15)
- MODEC Secures Japanese Partners in Petrobras FPSO Project (Apr 14)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 29 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)